With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
The extra day this month is clearly an extra day to drink beer, based on the number of events taking place this weekend. 612 and Wooden Hill have anniversary parties, while there are celebrations at OMNI, Alloy, Hop & Barrel, and more across the region. On Sunday, Lupulin kicks off its annual Big Beer Week too, with a sequel week at their sister taproom across the South Dakota border in Sioux Falls.
The extra day is also a good time to enjoy some of the new lagers hitting the market, with Vienna lagers, doppelbocks, dunkels, Dortmunders, and more on tap. Toasty and crisp flavors are popular this week, but breweries are also looking ahead to St. Patrick’s Day too, with a variety of Irish-themed beers to come soon.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
56 Kernza Dark Lager
At 4.3% ABV, 28 IBU, this is a schwarzbier with a Minnesota touch, featuring Kernza cereal grains from General Mills and Solar Grown honey. Taproom only.
Hop & Barrel Ridiculous Idiots
Available on Saturday, the 2020 version of this imperial stout is a blend of the 2018 and 2019 batches. At 12.5% ABV, it had deep wood, chocolate, coffee, and boozy alcohol flavors.
Available in cans, draft, and crowlers, this is a 5.5% ABV lager brewed to the German-originated Dortmunder style.
Schell’s Cream Ale
New Ulm’s Schell’s has a new cream ale on the market in both 6- and 12-packs.
Northbound Amber Bock
Two traditional, balanced beer styles combine. At 6% ABV, 20 IBU, “This beer showcases a malt that is new to us, Weyermann Barke Munich. It gets most of its amber color from this malt used at 80% of the grist. Barke Munich is malted to enhance richness and aroma. Notes of honey and biscuit are prominent along with a strong graininess. A late addition of traditional Hallertaur Mittelfruher hops are used to balance the malt richness. They add a soft, spicy bitterness with a flowery aroma,” the brewpub says.
New beers available this week (February 24–March 1)
- Kernza Dark Lager – Top Flight selection.
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Stout – “An infused stout with cacao nibs, Tiny Footprint coffee, ceylon cinnamon and star anise,” the brewery says. 8.5% ABV, 31 IBU. Taproom only.
- Sweater Weather w/ Tangelo – This batch of Sweater Weather hazy IPA was infused with tangelo. 5.6% ABV, 30 IBU.
612 celebrates its seventh anniversary on Saturday, February 29. There will be specials throughout the day, including a free beer between 3pm-4pm, half-price beers from 10pm–12am, and $7 Crowlers.
Tap options include:
- Electric Shoes Hazy IPA – Made with Amarillo and Simcoe hops.
- Grevolvinga Düsseldorf-Style Altbier – A limited gravity keg of this altbier taps at 5pm.
- Light into Ashes – An imperial stout with avocado honey.
- Little Criminal Hazy Small IPA – Made with Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Mighty Axe Arctic hops.
- Ocean Man DDH – A hazy IPA featuring Rakau and Galaxy hops, with mango and papaya flavors along with a soft, smooth mouthfeel. 6.3% ABV, 20 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Blueberry What Happened?! – Alloy’s vanilla bourbon cream ale, but with more than 120 pounds of blueberries added. 8.4% ABV, 11 IBU.
- Rock Out With Your Doppelbock Out – A featured seasonal release at Saturday’s Starkbierfest, complete with bock poking.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Fog of War – This batch of the hazy IPA features Arctic blend hops and Hornindal Kveik yeast and offers notes of pineapple, orange, and papaya.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- The Wheat Sweats – A new hefeweizen that Bauhaus says “finishes dry, light, and spritzy.” On tap this Saturday at the Leap Day-themed all-ages Extra-Vaganza party at the brewery. 5.0% ABV, 12 IBU.
- Munich Dunkel – A clean, crisp, and smooth dunkel that tapped at the brewery last weekend.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Irish Leap – A coconut stout will tap at Boom Island on Saturday, February 29.
- Rye-ish Red Ale – A taproom-only option that debuted last weekend.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Oxymoron – “This medium bodied white stout is brewed with flaked oats, flaked barley, and lactose, giving it a thick creamy mouthfeel. An espresso/French roast cold press infusion…adds roasty notes of chocolate and toffee,” the brewery says. 6.2% ABV, 28 IBU and available this Saturday.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Raspberry Pyro – This week’s limited Small Batch Wednesdays tapping at Burning Bros.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Quantum Leap – A newly tapped kettle sour with raspberries, blackberries, and vanilla. 5.6% ABV, 8 IBU.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Pink Plum Milkshake IPA – On tap now, this milkshake IPA is described as soft and fluffy, with plums and dragonfruit added. “Tastes like liquid Mosaic Cryo juice with big notes of plum and stone fruit,” the brewery says.
- Vienna Lager – Tapped on Wednesday and also sold in Crowlers, this is a toasty lager with notes of toffee, plus bright, floral, and grassy flavors.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Lord Gentleman – A 6.9% ABV, 55 IBU stout that was brewed in collaboration with Finnegans, this beer pours a dark stout with brown hues and a tan head, followed by a chocolate bouquet with spicy rye notes.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Stoney Point IPA – Tapping at 5pm today, February 28, the seasonal Stoney Point IPA is back. With a tropical fruit nose, it finishes with citrus and resinous flavors.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Brown Ales Don’t Sell – Available on nitro at the taproom, this is a 5.4% brown ale and the second release in a series of staff-inspired beers.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Luponic Distortion 15: Kiwi Lychee Feijoa – A new IPA that utilizes southern-hemisphere hops to showcase fruit-like flavors, but with no fruit in the beer itself. This recipe has notes of kiwi, lychee, and feijoa, just like the name says. 5.9% ABV, 59 IBU.
- Citrus Ginger Hard Seltzer – A new flavor addition in Fulton’s seltzer series.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #22 Amber – “[A] balanced, classic amber ale,” Hoops says. 6% ABV, 24 IBU.
- #5051 Dunkelweizen – This 5.2% ABV, 15 IBU beer has warm clove notes and chocolate banana flavors, the brewery says.
Hop & Barrel Brewing Company
- Ridiculous Idiots – Top Flight selection.
- Contains Bees – Previously released as Peanut Butter Honey Blonde, Contains Bees is a light, slightly sweet blonde ale with notes of honey that originate from the specialty malts used in brewing before Inbound complements that with peanut butter and a dose of locally sourced Fieldstone Apiaries honey.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Bennie’s Wearin’ Sweats – A Vermont-inspired New England-style IPA, out now.
- Pineapple Orange Hard Spritzer 0101 – A hazy hard spritzer with real juice. Slightly sweeter than hard seltzer, the brewery notes, with tropical, bright, and fresh character. 6% ABV.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Hazer Cat Hazy – A 5.5% ABV pale ale.
- Old Hat – A 6.6% ABV “Midwest IPA.”
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Dortmunder – Top Flight selection.
- Sophistry 05 – A 7% ABV New England-style IPA sold in cans, draft, and Crowlers.
Big Beer Week returns from March 1–8 at the Big Lake brewery, followed by its first iteration at Lupulin’s Sioux Falls location on March 8–15. The full list published earlier. Available this week, on Sunday, March 1 in Big Lake:
- Bottle Releases (10am): Barrel God 2020, Barrel Aged Lateralus, Whiskey Demigod; Draft Releases: Barrel God 2020, Barrel Aged Lateralus, Whiskey Demigod, Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle; Infusion (2pm): Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle Mexican Mole
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Amber Bock – Top Flight selection.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Tropical Milkshake IPA – A new milkshake IPA in the Malt Shop series debuts on Saturday, February 29, at OMNI’s Leap Day Luau party.
ONE Fermentary & Taproom
- Secret Path – ONE’s first sour beer is a Berliner weisse that features Weyermann Eraclea Pilsner, Weyermann Wheat, and Weyermann Acidulated Malt and pours at 4.6% ABV, 10 IBU. “The name comes from the classic ‘choose your own adventure’ books…we are going to let customers choose their own adventure by offering them different syrups they can add to their beer,” ONE says.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Clodoald Doppelbock – “Brewed using Vienna (and other German and European) malts and lagered with German yeast. You’ll find plenty of sweet, bready notes in this beer, as well as notes of caramel and toffee, with a hint of raisin on the nose,” the brewery says.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Newport Daze – A 5% ABV hazy pale ale with notes of tangerine, peach, pineapple, and stone fruit, the brewery says. Available this month.
- Newport Nights – A 9.8% ABV imperial IPA with pine, grapefruit, mango, papaya, and tangerine notes, the brewery says. Available later this month.
- Rolling Thunder Imperial Stout – This complex imperial stout was aged in Dead Guy whiskey barrels. “The rich, viscous notes of chocolate, vanilla and coffee mix with the flavors of whiskey-soaked Oregon oak. 13.6% ABV.
- Cream Ale – Top Flight selection.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Blackberry Cobbler Roboshake IPA – “We took our dairy-free milkshake IPA and aged it on blackberries, graham crackers, marshmallow, and vanilla,” the brewery explains. Tapping at 3pm today, February 28.
Town Hall Brewery
- Ol’ Blarney – A strong Irish red ale with nut-like flavors, caramel, toasted bread, and dried fruit. 6.8% ABV and available in both draft and cask pour. Available on Sunday, March 1.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Milk Stout – Tapped last Friday.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- 2 – The featured release at Saturday’s second anniversary party. “We’re capping off two years with the subtly sweet and tart flavors of Marquette grapes, saison esters, and ex-brandy barrels. With just a touch of carbonation, 2 is a unique wine-like experience that we hope challenges your perception of what beer can be,” the brewery says of the rosé saison beer that will be on tap and in limited bottles.
- Batch 200 – An exclusively Sabro-hopped juicy IPA that pours at 6.2% ABV.
- French Toast Crunch – Brewed with maple syrup, and milk sugar, this is a 7.5% ABV brown ale with breakfast cereal inspiration.
Beers just announced
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Tangerine – An American wheat ale that hits liquor stores soon. It will be sold in the upcoming Throw Back Pack, a variety pack full of summer-minded fruit-forward beers, including Blueberry Ripple and Mango Cream.
- Maple Barrel Aged Double Porter – This popular seasonal is back on March 28, celebrated with a brunch party at the brewery.
- Berry McBerryface – A crimson-colored fruited patersbier with acai berries, blueberries, black currants, and cherries. It will debut on March 6 with a release party at Bent.
- Hard Seltzer – Coming soon in Raspberry Lime, Tropical Lime, Mango, and Cherry.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Red Moon Rising – A hazy double IPA with blood orange that was brewed by the women of Dangerous Man. Scheduled to tap on International Women’s Day, March 8.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Strata – “A single hop DDH hazy IPA. It’s soft, tropical, smooth, and so juicy. It was well-received last year, so we’re bringin’ it back,” Fair State announced on social media. The Strata is back on March 9.
Founders Brewing Co.
- KBS – The well-known KBS is the newest year-round option in the Barrel-Aged Series, beginning in March. It features coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak flavors and pours at 12% ABV. Available on draft and in 12-ounce bottles.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Hop Dab IPA – This upcoming beer, available next Monday, is a hoppy IPA with citrus, resin, and berry notes complemented by a soft, smooth body. It pours light in color, with “a hazy glow,” Indeed says. 7.2% ABV, 55 IBU.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Berry Me Terminal Delight – A “mixed berry cream soda sour,” the brewery says.
- Bleed Green – Irish-style stout
- Galactic Falconer – The IPA returns soon, Junkyard says.
- Mike’s Pillow – An upcoming double New England-style IPA.
- Queens of the Potluck – This soon to release beer is described as an “ambrosia-style wheat ale.”
- Slaps! – Strawberry rhubarb sour ale
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Shavasana – At 8% ABV, this is an imperial blonde ale brewed with granola, coconut, sweet oats with subtle spice notes, the brewery says. Available March through June in 22-ounce bottles.
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- Strainge Beast – This unpasteurized, USDA-certified organic hard kombucha will release under the name Chico Fermentation Project, an offshoot of Sierra Nevada. Strainge Beast launches with a Ginger, Lemon & Hibiscus flavor that pours at 7.0% ABV, with Blueberry, Acai & Sweet Basil and Passion Fruit, Hops & Blood Orange coming later.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Flashpoint Vanilla Cream Ale – Coming on March 10.
- Mango Kolsch – Available in the taproom on March 4 and coming in cans soon after.
- The Druid-Dry Irish – To tap on March 2.
- Doppel Stikke – A rich, malt-forward alt-style beer designed with caramelization in mind. It will be the featured beer at Waldmann’s March 7 beer-poking party.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.