With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
It’s a week of IPAs, imperial stouts, leftover Valentine’s Day chocolate, and a slew of beers from northern Minnesota. This week is marked by several IPA releases: series offerings, charitable beers for a cause, and previously limited but now year-round IPAs are hitting liquor store shelves and tap lines across the state. Schell’s Bock is back too, and Leinie’s Summer Shandy is giving warm weather flavors a month before the official beginning of spring.
In celebratory news, Town Hall is concluding another Barrel Aged Week that features the return of annual favorites and new, uniquely complex offerings. The Winter Beer Dabbler is taking over the State Fairgrounds, and Dangerous Man just released Batch #999.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Falling Knife Brewing Co. Shaky Hands
Made with espresso, cinnamon, and vanilla, this is a limited 12% ABV imperial stout. 100 bottles go on sale at 12pm on Saturday.
Imminent Brewing Kernza Clearwater Revival
“This ale is malty, slightly sweet and reminiscent of a German Alt, though lighter in color due to being made with nearly 20% kernza, a perennial wheatgrass,” Imminent explains. “We used the Clearwater varietal (developed by the U of M) and besides being good for soil and water health, kernza lends a pleasant nuttiness to the beer as well.” 5.4% ABV, 31 IBU.
Sisyphus Brewing Churro Imperial Brown Ale
Sisyphus brown ale, with a higher alcohol content and an infusion of vanilla and cinnamon. 8% ABV, 27 IBU.
Talking Waters Brewing Co. What’s Shakin’
A 6.6% ABV milkshake IPA brewed with wheat, oats, and lactose, plus Citra and Sabro hops and vanilla beans. Expect juicy coconut and pineapple flavors, the brewery says.
Town Hall Brewery Nitro Kentucky Truffle
Wednesday, February 19 Barrel Aged Week at Town Hall Brewery’s 7 Corners location (nitrogenated chocolate milk stout)
New beers available this week (February 17–February 23)
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Neon Groves – A new fruited kettle sour made with tangerine, apricot, and mango juice. On tap at Able now and in liquor stores next week. 4.1% ABV, 5 IBU.
Avery Brewing Company
- Sparkle – Aline of 5.0% ABV hard seltzers, advertising zero added sugars, 100 calories, and 1.5 carbs. Flavors include Cherry Lime, Grapefruit, and CranRaz.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Pow Hound – A limited release double West Coast-style IPA with “intense hop bitterness and earthy, citrusy flavors and aromas,” the brewery says, with citrus, floral, pine, and resin flavors. 8.4% ABV, 100 IBU.
Beaver Island Brewing Co.
- Minnesota Classic – A roasty Vienna lager. 4.8% ABV.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Pordij #3 – Number three in the IPA series.
- Citra Sour – Back on tap, this is a hoppy kettle sour brewed with malted oats and dry-hopped with Citra hops. Available at Birch’s Lowertown and Birch’s On The Lake.
- Whiskey Barrel Barleywine – An English-style barleywine aged in 16-year Tennessee whiskey barrels. 11% ABV and on tap in Lowertown.
- Hallmark Holiday – This Valentine’s Day beer is a Berliner weisse-style ale made with passionfruit, raspberry, rose petals, hibiscus, and lactose. 8.0% ABV and taproom only, as of last week.
- Micro Dosing – An IPA made with additional daily doses of Citra, Sabro, Mosaic, Strata, Azacca, Cashmere, and Idaho 7 hops. 7.2% ABV and available at the brewery and at area liquor stores.
- Cold Buzz – A gluten-free hard coffee with 110 calories. 5.7% ABV.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Berliner Weisse – This week’s limited Small Batch Wednesdays tapping at Burning Bros.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Turn Up The Good – A DIPA Taproom Series release, this 7.9% ABV double IPA features notes of lemon, orange, pineapple, mango, pine, and lemongrass with a bitter finish.
- White Pine Project IPA – An IPA with bright citrus, tropical fruit, and pine notes. 5.6% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Batch #999 – Brewed with help from all of Dangerous Man’s former brewers, this milestone beer is a hazy double IPA with Sultana, Lotus, Sabro Cryo, Lemondrop, and Simcoe Cryo hops.
- Lackluster Pale Ale – An American pale ale made with Citra and Mosaic hops. 6% ABV. Available on Saturday.
- Mallow Jam Sess – A pastry sour ale made with strawberry, guava, marshmallow, and lactose, which the brewery says gives a “sweet, full and creamy finish.” 5.7% ABV. Available on Saturday.
- Grapefruit – Cider infused with grapefruit. 5.3% ABV.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Prince Haakon Honey Bock – Earth Rider, the official beer of the American Birkebeiner, made this in honor of North America’s longest cross country ski race, held on February 22 in Hayward, WI. “Prince Haakon is a smooth lager that blends a floral-honey aroma and flavor with toasted malt character,” the brewery says.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Megachonker – A limited apple brandy barrel-aged stout with vanilla sold in bottles. 14.85% ABV.
- Party Forward – After debuting in 2019, this hazy IPA is back year-round and available at the brewery and liquor stores now.
Falling Knife Brewing Co.
- Shaky Hands – Made with espresso, cinnamon, and vanilla, this is a limited 12% ABV imperial stout. 100 bottles go on sale at 12pm on Saturday. – Top Flight entry
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
- Cosmic Snowball – A SMaSH ale with 2-row barley and Comet hops. Flavors of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine. 6.6% ABV.
- Kernza Clearwater Revival – “This ale is malty, slightly sweet and reminiscent of a German Alt, though lighter in color due to being made with nearly 20% kernza, a perennial wheatgrass,” Imminent explains. “We used the Clearwater varietal (developed by the U of M) and besides being good for soil and water health, kernza lends a pleasant nuttiness to the beer as well.” 5.4% ABV, 31 IBU. – Top Flight entry
Indeed Brewing Company
- The Queen – The whiskey barrel-aged imperial stout is available in cans and at liquor stores now. It returns to the taproom on February 27 for Flight Night, with four added infusions: Dogwood Neon Espresso and Vanilla Bean, Cacao Nibs and Orange Zest, Cherry and Coconut, and Ginger and Lemon Zest, followed by a Leap Day party.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Barrel-Aged Wake Up Late – Junkyard’s vanilla coffee stout is now available in a barrel-aged variant for the first time. 11.0% ABV.
- Gone Hollywood – “This IPA is brewed with an all-star cast of hops. In the whirlpool we added Falconer’s Flight, Citra, Denali, El Dorado and Strata. Then we dry-hopped this West Coaster with more Falconer’s Flight, Cryo Ekuanot, and Strata,” the brewery says, explaining this beer’s name.
- Hazy Maze
- Mama’s Trip to the Bahamas – A cocktail-inspired sour made with pineapple, strawberry, and coconut.
- Retro Ski Suit – A New England-style IPA available in cans.
- Grapefruit Shandy – Available for the season now, including in the new Brewology variety pack that also includes Berry Weiss, Canoe Paddle Kolsch, and Summer Shandy.
- Summer Shandy – Available for the season now, including in the new Brewology variety pack. 4.2% ABV.
New Belgium Brewing
- Voodoo Ranger American Haze – A 5.0% ABV juicy IPA with passionfruit character.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Coffee Cream Ale – A limited batch of cream ale with Muggsy’s Papua New Guinea coffee beans tapped on Wednesday.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Lost Moon – 2020 bottles go on sale this Saturday.
Revelation Ale Works
- Bronson Baltic – An 8.1% ABV Baltic porter with roasty, earthy, flavors that include overripe plum and dates, the brewery says. A collaboration with Klockow.
- Peace Dog NE Pale – “A smooth, 5.9% pale ale brewed with a pile of Loral, Simcoe, Cashmere, and Hallertau Blanc hops giving off loads of pineapple, and floral notes,” Revelation says.
- Purple Ribbon Pilsner – A crisp, refreshing Pilsner that pours at 5% and features Saaz hops.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Double Chocolate Stout – An imperial stout with chocolate, available this month. 9% ABV.
- Bock – A rich smooth lager for late winter. 4.8% ABV.
- Churro Imperial Brown Ale – Sisyphus brown ale, with a higher alcohol content and an infusion of vanilla and cinnamon. 8% ABV, 27 IBU. – Top Flight entry
- Flagship IPA – A bitter and piney West Coast-style IPA. 8% ABV, 100 IBU.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- What’s Shakin’ – A 6.6% ABV milkshake IPA brewed with wheat, oats, and lactose, plus Citra and Sabro hops and vanilla beans. Expect juicy coconut and pineapple flavors, the brewery says. – Top Flight entry
- Shut Your Pie Hole – A pastry sour ale made with boysenberries, cinnamon, vanilla, graham cracker, and 100-percent El Dorado hops. 5.1% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Irish Cream Stout – This St. Patrick’s Day-themed seasonal returns today. The stout is aged on chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Good news for those with allergies: the 2020 recipe is almond-free.
- Salted Nut Roll Cream Ale – This Pearson’s Candy collaboration returns at the brewery on March 6 for a draft teaser before Tin Whiskers starts shipping cans to liquor stores in the coming weeks.
Town Hall Brewery
The annual Barrel Aged Week concludes at Town Hall Brewery’s 7 Corners location on February 23. There are 18 barrel-aged beers in total. Each offering is in limited supply and was tapped in the following order:
- Monday, February 17: Barrel Crew Select Double Barreled Xtra Milk Stout (double milk stout), Double Oak Bruin (Belgian-style bruin), E.T. Wee (heavy Scottish ale), Quadruple Vine (Belgian-style quadrupel)
- Tuesday, February 18: Wine Barrel Series Barley Vine (American barleywine), Frosted Vine (imperial stout), Tripel Vine (Belgian-style tripel), Baltic Red (Baltic-style porter)
- Wednesday, February 19: Kentucky Truffle (chocolate milk stout), Manhattan Reserve (Belgian grand cru with cherries), Rye Barrel (Germany-style roggenbier), Nitro Kentucky Truffle (nitrogenated chocolate milk stout) – Top Flight entry
- Thursday, February 20: Project 3106 (Belgian-style bruin with Belgian dark chocolate and kumquats), Foolish Angel (Belgian-style quadrupel)
- Friday, February 21: Twisted Trace (American barleywine), Buffalo Bock (German-style weizenbock)
- Saturday, February 22: Czar Jack (imperial stout)
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Banana Stout – Tapped on the 18th in honor of National Pig Day.
- Barrel-Aged Kentucky Uncommon – Tapped on the 18th in honor of National Pig Day.
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #287 DDH Citra IPA – “A big single, little double IPA featuring Citra hops,” Venn says.
Waconia Brewing Company
- English Pub Ale
Beers just announced
612 celebrates its seventh anniversary on February 29. There will be specials throughout the day, including a free beer between 3pm-4pm, half-price beers from 10pm–12am, and $7 Crowlers.
Tap options include:
- Electric Shoes Hazy IPA – Made with Amarillo and Simcoe hops.
- Grevolvinga Düsseldorf-Style Altbier – A limited gravity keg of this altbier taps at 5pm.
- Light into Ashes – An imperial stout with avocado honey.
- Little Criminal Hazy Small IPA – Made with Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Mighty Axe Arctic hops.
- Ocean Man DDH – A hazy IPA with featuring Rakau and Galaxy hops.
Beaver Island Brewing Co.
- Mango Cream – A new mango cream ale, coming in March.
- Ripple Blueberry – A Kölsch-style ale is coming soon, the brewery announced over social media this week.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Wild Tux P.O.G. – A passionfruit, orange, and guava sour ale was recently brewed and is fermenting now. Coming in March.
Clown Shoes Beer
- Clementine – The white ale will be sold in 16-ounce cans for the first time this spring.
Hop & Barrel Brewing Company
- Ridiculous Idiots – The barrel-aged release will be available on tap on February 29, with 2019 cans also available for purchase.
ONE Fermentary & Taproom
- Secret Path – ONE’s first sour beer is a Berliner weisse that features Weyermann Eraclea Pilsner, Weyermann Wheat, and Weyermann Acidulated and pours at 4.6% ABV, 10 IBU. “The name comes from the classic ‘choose your own adventure’ books…we are going to let customers choose their own adventure by offering them different syrups they can add to their beer,” ONE says.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Newport Daze – A 5% ABV hazy pale ale with notes of tangerine, peach, pineapple, and stone fruit, the brewery says. Available in March.
- Newport Nights – A 9.8% ABV imperial IPA with pine, grapefruit, mango, papaya, and tangerine notes, the brewery says. Available later this month.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Blackberry Cobbler Roboshake IPA – “We took our dairy-free milkshake IPA and aged it on blackberries, graham crackers, marshmallow, and vanilla,” the brewery explains. Tapping at 3pm on Friday, February 28.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.