With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
The last week of the year means many things. Some people reminisce while others look ahead, and some just keep the holiday parties in full swing. All three routes are reflected in this week’s beer releases, with numerous big IPAs and sweet stouts with extra flavors celebrating the holiday season.
Meanwhile, breweries look ahead in different ways. Bent Paddle has announced a large lineup of 2020 beers, including Wild Tux kettle sours and a range of infused specialties. Bad Habit is looking ahead to warmer days with the announcement of a beach-themed January blowout, and Fair State is looking to the aftermath of the holidays with a low-calorie, low-ABV “Dry January.”
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Fair State Dry January
This is a 3.5% ABV, 104 calorie (per 12 ounces) wee IPA with fruity, citrusy hop notes. In liquor stores next week.
Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
A nutty, coffee brown ale at 9% ABV, last bottled in 2012. It returns once again in bottles and on draft.
Hop & Barrel Lady of the Woods
The third beer in the Brew Like a Girl series, which is a collaboration with the women of Witch Hunt. This one, the brewery says, is a creamy, full-bodied, vanilla white stout.
Little Thistle Sssuper Sssexy Imperial IPA
“Bursting with notes of tropical fruit, coconut, mango, and peach this beer is as dank and resiny as they come,” Little Thistle says. A collaboration with Lupulin Brewing that pours at 8.6% ABV, 39 IBU and featuring kveik yeast.
LocAle Winter Weizen
A dunkelweizen with notes of clove, chocolate, banana, and bready malt that LocAle is selling on draft, and in take-home Crowlers and growlers.
New beers available this week December 23–December 29)
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Incinerator – A doppelbock and the star of the show at 22 Northmen’s upcoming inaugural Bock Poking party on Saturday, December 28.
AEGIR Brewing Co.
- Candy Cane Porter
Angry Inch Brewing
- Samoan Kisses – Back on tap in Lakeville now.
Back Channel Brewing Co.
- Cob Job – A 5.25% ABV crisp American corn lager.
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- A Christmas Stout – Tapped last Saturday at the brewery.
- Christmas Cookie Ale – Tapped on Christmas Eve at the brewery.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Apricot F5 Kettle Sour – Tapped on December 20 and also sold in 750-bottles.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Vanilla Milk Stout – A milk stout aged on bourbon vanilla beans. 5.4% ABV.
Block North Brewpub
- Fog From The Bog – A new cranberry wheat honey beer based on a recipe from homebrew group Glacial Lakes Brewers.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Buffalo Trace Omen – A limited taproom-only release, served on nitro at the brewery on December 27.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Dry January – Top Flight entry
Founders Brewing Co.
- Frangelic Mountain Brown – Top Flight entry
Hop & Barrel Brewing Co.
- Lady of the Woods – Top Flight entry
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
- The Bubble
Little Thistle Brewery
- Sssuper Sssexy Imperial IPA – Top Flight entry
LocAle Brewing Company
- Distant Dawn – “This chocolatey 6.5% ABV porter was brewed with a variety of dark, roasted malts including a hefty dose of chocolate malt and oats. Fermented with British ale yeast, it is exceptionally smooth with prominent flavors of dark chocolate and cocoa,” the brewery says.
- Winter Weizen – Top Flight entry
Lupulin Brewing Company
- DDH Blissful Ignorance – A 9% ABV double dry-hopped double IPA.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Flat Iron Amber – Tapped on Boxing Day.
- Royal Gem – A 6.3% ABV, 61 IBU IPA that debuted last weekend.
- Tropical Holidaze – A limited Christmas milkshake IPA made with banana, pineapple, coconut, and vanilla that debuted last weekend. 6.3% ABV, 3 IBU.
- Barrel Aged Prairieville Warmer – Back on tap at the brewery this week.
- Anti-Social Apple Ale with Ginger – A 4.5% ABV, 2 IBU apple ale.
- Opa with Grapefruit – Sisyphus is brewing back an old recipe this Saturday, December 28.
- Winter Warmer with Cinnamon – 6.7% ABV, 40 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Slow Rye – A pale ale.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Snowburst – A juicy IPA with sweet, tropical notes.
Beers just announced
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Boat Drinks – The first of three special releases for a January 10–11 beach-themed weekend, this takes Bad Habit’s milkshake IPA and adds coconut and pineapple, inspired by the piña colada cocktail.
- Changes in Latitude – A Mexican-style lager with lime. To be available at the January 10–11 Beers & Beaches party.
- Tre’s Pepper Mango – Available at the two-day Beers & Beaches party, this is a beer made with hot pepper and sweet mango.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
There are a few days lefts in 2019, but Bent Paddle’s 2020 will include:
- Bomb Pop – Kanu pale ale with cherry, lime, and raspberry. Available on draft in June–July.
- Chocolate Raspberry Black – Black with added chocolate and raspberry, available on draft in February through March.
- Classic Ale – Coming in April.
- Double Shot Double Black – Back on November 16, 2020.
- Extra Baked – A barrel-aged stout that taps at the start of February.
- Lemonades – Golden ale with lemon zest and vanilla, available on draft in April and May.
- Lollygagger Pale Ale – Returns in August.
- Old Fashioned ESB – A barrel-aged ESP with added cherry and orange zest. Available on draft in December 2020.
- Peach Cobbler – Golden ale with peach, cinnamon, and vanilla, available on draft in August and September.
- Pecan Pie – Oatmeal stout with pecan and vanilla, available on draft in October and November.
- Pordij #3 – Number three in the IPA series debuts in February.
- Pordij #4 – A juicy IPA coming in May.
- Pordij #5 – Number five will be a vegan milkshake IPA, scheduled for September.
- Snowmaker – Coming next November.
- Trampled – The Trampled By Turtles-inspired golden ale returns for the summer.
- Wild Tux Cranberry Black Currant – A fall seasonal wild sour ale with cranberry and black currant.
- Wild Tux Cucumber Lime – Available in late April.
- Wild Tux Imperial – This sour ale is made with pineapple and blackberry and will be available next month.
- Wild Tux Mango Guava – Just in time for summer.
- Wild Tux Mixed Berry – Available next August.
- Wild Tux P.O.G. – A passion fruit, orange, and guava sour ale, coming in March.
Left Hand Brewing Company
- Peanut Butter Milk Stout – An adult peanut butter cup beverage, the brewery says. Available next week.
Pantown Brewing Company
- The Caesar – New for the new year and for the seemingly inevitable hangover that comes with it. “No clamato or vodka in this baby, just a tasty beverage with the right amount of ABV to help you recover from the night before,” the brewery says on Facebook.
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- 40 – An upcoming West Coast IPA with piney and citrus flavors, brewed in recognition of the brewery’s 40th anniversary.
Utepils Brewing Co.
- Cowboy Jack’s IPA – Utepils has brewed an exclusive IPA just for Cowboy Jack’s locations. It debuts on January 6, with a release party at the downtown Cowboy Jack’s on January 8. It will also be served at Utepils’ taproom.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Cookies & Cream Milk Stout – A small batch of this dessert stout will appear in cans soon.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.