With over 170 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
May is the month of mangos with several new fruited options making their debut this week. Besides mangos, farmhouse ales, saisons, and kettle sours are popular summer-themed choices at local breweries.
Some of this week’s most exciting options include the collaborative tap lineup at the newly opened Pig Ate My Pizza, a cooperative set of releases at Junkyard and Fargo, and the announcement of a 20% ABV “brewed spirit” at Modist.
And, of course, there are numerous events across galleries and breweries in Northeast Minneapolis as the neighborhood celebrates Art-A-Whirl.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Birch’s Lowertown Peach Lambic
The second barrel-aged sour release at Birch’s Lowertown, this Lowertown-only lambic-style was fermented in white wine barrels with peach puree for over two years. Available on tap and in 750-milliliter bottles as of Thursday. 4.8% ABV.
Bemidji Honeyberry Sour
A 5.8% ABV, 6 IBU fruited sour ale, Bemidji says: “We fermented our barrel-aged Golden Sour on a heap of locally grown honeyberries resulting in a deep purple beer with intense notes of fruit and juicy berries. Our house culture of wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria produces additional aromas of subtle citrus and ripe stone fruits, all layered atop a pale base of barley and wheat that leads into a tart, dry finish with a hint of toasted oak.”
FINNEGANS Biere De Miel Ale
A funky Belgian-style farmhouse ale brewed with local honey and aged in oak barrels. Part of the Barrels of Life Series, it offers peach and apricot notes and is available on tap and in bottles.
Milk & Honey Cider Rose
This is a limited Deepcuts series semi-dry cider made with Winesap apples and infused with hibiscus flowers, rose hips, and orange peel. 6.7% ABV.
A farmhouse ale made with the Kernza grain. “Clean, tart, dry finish, with great fruit notes including strawberry and cherry,” Bang says.
New beers available this week (May 13–May 19)
- Mango Milkshake IPA – 6.4% ABV
- List of Demands – Available for Art-A-Whirl weekend, this is 612’s first milkshake IPA made with barley, oats, wheat, and lactose, then triple dry-hopped with Calypso, El Dorado, and Huell Melon and conditioned on strawberry and mango puree.
- Raspberry Shoreline Saison – Another new beer for the weekend, Shoreline Saison is complemented with red raspberry puree. 6.3% ABV, 30 IBU.
Back Channel Brewing Co.
- Local Sound – Featuring UK hop varieties, this experimental IPA has a dank bouquet with tropical fruit and melon notes, plus a resinous finish with orange pith bitterness, the brewery says. 6.5% ABV.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Keller Pils – An unfiltered German-style Pilsner. On tap now.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Aw Shucks – A new cream ale sold only at the Shakopee taproom and across the highway at Valley Fair.
- Farm – Top Flight selection.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Flame of Anor – An imperial stout with added coffee and marshmallow.
- Midwestern Exotic – A tart and tangy fruited gose with calamansi, blood orange, tangerine, and peach.
- Simpler Times – A 4.5% ABV fruited Berliner weisse on tap at Pig Ate My Pizza.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Cosmic Headshift – An India pale lager aged on passionfruit puree. Now available in 16-ounce cans. 6.0% ABV, 80 IBU.
- Hard Target – A fresh and fruity limited taproom release. 5.8% ABV, 70 IBU.
- No Collusion Kolsch
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Idaho 7 West Coast IPA
- Peach Lambic – Top Flight selection.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Honey Raspberry Wheat
- Short Hop
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Petite Tiki Session Ale – This unique session ale was brewed with brown rice flakes and almond flour.
- Tarty Party – A creamy kettle sour with raspberries, lemons, and vanilla, available at Pig Ate My Pizza.
Drastic Measure Brewing Company
- Lurking Nurkle – A 7.1% ABV American saison with a dry finish, plus lemon, grapefruit, and pepper flavors.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Crankin’ Foamers – An American lager that’s on tap at the brewery now and coming to liquor stores in cans next week.
- Pig Dreams – A new hazy IPA on tap at Pig Ate My Pizza.
Fargo Brewing Company
- Mango Iron Horse Pale Ale – Fargo’s pale ale with fresh mango added. “The aroma is thick with mango, tropical fruit, and grapefruit, while the flavor is a huge rush of hop character; combining citrus, floral, and resin notes with smooth balanced bittering, the brewery says. 5.2% ABV, 32 IBU.
- Saved By The Kettle Brut IPA – Available today, this is a 7.6% ABV, 28 IBU brut IPA made in collaboration with Junkyard in Moorhead. “We were inspired by the brut IPA style, which led us to adding white grape juice and Nelson Sauvin hops to both beers,” the brewery says, while Junkyard’s counterpart is a New England-style IPA using similar malts, hops and grape juice.
- Biere De Miel Ale – Top Flight selection.
- De Kronick – Made with Belgian malts while mimicking the water of Antwerp, Belgium, Forager says De Kronick has “Aromatics of fresh-baked bread lead to flavors of smooth caramel and mild spiced tones.” 6% ABV, 22 IBU.
Goose Island Beer Co.
- IPA Now – This IPA offers “notes of berry, lychee, citrus, and stone fruit followed up by a subtle pie crust-like malt sweetness,” the brewery says.
- Dreamshake – It Was All A Dream IPA, plus lactose, orange zest, and vanilla bean. “We took our juicy IPA base and made it into a milkshake,” HeadFlyer explains.
- Pigmosa – A 6.0% ABV champagne ale on tap at Pig Ate My Pizza. “Black currant along with a generous dry hop of Nelson Sauvin and Mandarina Bavaria complement the dry finish of this brut style,” the brewery says.
Indeed Brewing Company
Several beers will be on tap at Indeed’s Art-A-Whirl Whirlygig party May 17-19, including Day Tripper Pale Ale, B-Side Pils, L.S.D., Lucy Session Sour, Mexican Honey Imperial Lager, Shenanigans Honey Wheat Ale, Peach Bum IPA, Flavorwave IPA, and Mexican Honey Light.
New options include:
- Lucy: Stone Fruit Sour – Lucy session sour with added passionfruit, peach, and mango. It debuts at Whirlygig. “Expect big stonefruit character, along with the same approachable acidity of the original Lucy, and a more subtle hop presence,” the brewery says.
- Lull CBD Seltzer – Also new, this is a non-alcoholic CBD seltzer water with lemon and key lime flavors.
Island City Brewing Company
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sour
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Raspberry & Tangerine Super Slurp – Released on Tuesday.
- Saved By The Kettle – Junkyard’s half of a collaboration with border rivals/friends Fargo Brewing, this is a New England-style IPA with sauvignon blanc grape juice.
La Doña Cervecería
- Sour Big Mama – Tapped last weekend, this is a sour blonde ale with tart, fruity, and crisp characteristics.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
Hog Day Afternoon – A 5.6% ABV pale ale on tap at Pig Ate My Pizza.
- Milkshake Cherry Sour – A sour ale made with cherries, vanilla, and lactose. On tap now. Expect more upcoming LTD releases at their fifth anniversary party on June 1.
- Lateralus with Coffee & Vanilla – An 11% ABV imperial stout and the first in a series. Made with coffee and vanilla.
- Unicorn Spirit Animal – Tapping this Saturday, Unicorn Spirit Animal is a fruited ale with strawberry, pineapple, and blood orange releasing in celebration of the brewery’s fourth anniversary. 7% ABV.
- Dirty Heffer – A hefeweizen with clove and banana notes, plus hints of sweetness and spice.
- Silence Is Golden
- Juice Box Hero – Available in the new variety pack from Mankato, this is a 4.5% ABV raspberry cherry shandy.
On Thursday, May 16, Mankato released its apple-forward barleywine, Apple Apocalypse, in three different variants:
- Apple Red
- Apple Rose
- Apple White
- Citrus Haze Cowlaboration #12 – A new collaboration between Pryes, Red Cow, and Red Rabbit restaurants.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Mangata – A new American wheat ale made with Citra hops, then aged on mango puree. 5.1% ABV.
Town Hall Brewery
- Boreal Hills – This is a 6.6% ABV spruce tip IPA. Made with blue spruce tips from Colorado, it features fruity hops notes of tropical fruits and citrus, plus sweet malt and spruce notes.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Mango Topo Wit – Topo Wit with added mango.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Registered Trademark – Made with help from Drastic Measures, this is a double IPA “brewed with 2-row [barley], malted oats, flaked wheat, and a ton of all the copyrighted hops,” Wild Mind says. Tapped on Thursday and in limited supply.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Back Channel Brewing Company
- Cold Feat – “Look for cereal-like flavor with a low citrus, lemon-like hop aroma and flavor from Amarillo hops, all tied together by a delicately fluffy mouthfeel from generous amounts of wheat,” the brewery says of this returning wheat ale.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Boat Shoes – An IPA brewed with all Vic Secret hops.
- Honeyberry Sour – Top Flight selection.
Indeed Brewing Company
- L.S.D. Honey Ale – In Indeed’s own words, “A kaleidoscopic combination of lavender, sunflower honey, and dates set the stage for a mind-bending beer experience as delicate floral aromas dance atop rich notes of fruit and honey.” In liquor stores and bars.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Barrel Aged King Size – Released on Wednesday after aging for nine months in Sagamore Rye whiskey barrels.
- What? Er,…Melon Wheat – Available again, starting Saturday. On draft and in cans.
Left Hand Brewing Company
- Push Pop Party Nitro – A hazy citrus ale, on nitro. Available at the Colorado brewery now and hitting liquor stores soon.
Lift Bridge Brewing Co.
- The Lift Bridge hard seltzer line-up of Northwoods Juice Box, St. Croix Berries, Voyageur Citrus and Island Time Tropical Blend, previously available on draft, is now also sold in cans.
- Orange Peel Patio Crusher – This saison with orange peel is back for the summer season.
- Apricot Blonde – A 5.5% ABV blonde ale with apricot. Tapped on Mother’s Day at the brewery.
- Fjord Stomper – An 8.7% ABV double IPA.
- Tropic Luv – Also sold in the new variety pack (mentioned above), taproom favorite Tropic Luv will be available in cans.
Milk & Honey Ciders
- Cider Rose – Top Flight selection.
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
- Scorpius Morchella
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Mango Strut – A 4.1% ABV kettle sour made with mangos and described as “sweet yet tart.”
Beers just announced
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Brewer’s Roundtable Series Vol 4: Pale Ale – Coming on Wednesday May 22, this limited release offers “a malty, light bready note and highlights Monroe hops for a soft raspberry flavor and aroma. It finishes clean with a lightly lingering fruitiness and moderate bitterness,” Broken Clock adds. 6.4% ABV, 42 IBU.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- The Mighty Lager – This limited release is a session amber lager brewed specially for rock band O.A.R. It is a light amber lager with toasty malt flavors and a clean finish, the brewery says. It will be sold in Northwest Ohio, plus at select concerts on the band’s summer tour. O.A.R. plays Mystic Lake Casino on August 2. 4.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
- American Pils – A 4.5% ABV American Pilsner.
- Lateralus with Chocolate & Coconut – This will be the second release in the Lateralus series of infused imperial stouts. 11% ABV.
- Lateralus with Marshmallow & Chocolate – This will be the third release in the Lateralus series. 11% ABV.
- Ordinance No. 1 – To debut on May 22, this is a hazy pale ale brewed in collaboration with the city of Lakeville and to be sold in cans only at Lakeville Liquors. “Ordinance No. 1, was the very first ordinance that was passed by the newly founded Village back in 1878. This ordinance provided licensing of saloons and the regulation of spirits within Lakeville at the time,” the brewery explains. All proceeds from the beer will go towards the 2019 Pan-O-Prog fireworks display.
- PB Mocha Javatized – A soon to release variant of Javatized, infused with peanut butter and chocolate. 6% ABV.
- Sorceress – A crisp and tart sour ale with a hint of lemon, the brewery says. Debuts on May 23.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Boozehound – This unique “brewed spirit” is a collaboration with Parlour Bar that will be available at Modist on May 22 and at Parlour the following day. As Modist explains, “Boozehound is made from a bourbon mash that’s brewed and fermented as a beer, aged in bourbon barrels, then served as an Old Fashioned…The finished product will be served from the tap with a splash of bitters and garnished with orange peel.” 20% ABV.
- Brut Lager – Up next in the Stag series, this dry, bright, and citrusy brut lager will be sold only in the Biergarten in a sampler pack in June.
- IPA – A new year round release from Schell’s, this is a hop-forward IPA with tropical, fruity aromas and a low hop bitterness. Coming in early June.
Steel Toe Brewing
- All Hands Pale Ale – Earlier this week, Steel Toe brewed this exclusive beer for Common Sound Music Festival, headlined by Doomtree. Inspired by the group’s All Hands on Deck album title, All Hands will be available on June 30 at the festival.
Venn Brewing Company
- Cosmosis: Clusterfruit – This limited release 750-milliliter bottle beer is a tropical kettle sour with passion fruit, pineapple, pink guava, and mango. It debuts at noon on June 15 at Venn’s “1.5 year anniversary party.”
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.