With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Taprooms have opened up across the state again, and curbside pickup and delivery from liquor stores still present a wide range of options so people can socially distance in whatever setting they prefer.
In this week’s edition of The Mash-Up, our first since March, we play a bit of catch-up. Ultimately, beer continues to follow three key themes: taste, community, and season. There are beers built around every flavor profile you can imagine—traditional “beers that taste like beer” that are listed right next to beers inspired by candy. There are also collaborations between different breweries, different industries, and across state lines. A few beers are connected to charities and, yes, the Oktoberfest sightings have also begun.
Whether you’re enjoying a fruited sour, a summer session, or a bold Black Is Beautiful oatmeal stout, welcome back. Cheers!
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Dangerous Man Black is Beautiful
An oatmeal stout for charity, brewed in collaboration with Weathered Souls Brewing to raise awareness for racial injustice and more. Proceeds of this beer will be donated to Black Visions Collective. 5.0% ABV, 32 IBU.
Fair State People Power
A Kölsch-style ale that pours at 4.8% ABV. A portion of proceeds benefits ACLU.
A Barrels of Life Series release, this is a 9.5% ABV brett saison aged in chardonnay barrels. “This is the beer FINNEGANS head brewer Ryan has been dreaming of brewing for years. Chardonnay barrels add a nice grape wine quality,” FINNEGANS says.
Pryes & Drekker Mutually Inclusive Collaboration
A Cuvée-style smoothie sour made in collaboration with Drekker. Pryes’ version features mango, while Drekker’s variant features black currant.
Modist Personal Helles
A Helles Style Lager hopped with Cryo Simcoe, Saphir & Triple Pearl aged in our oak foeder, says the brewery. Releases on Saturday, July 18.
New beers available this week (July 13–July 19)
608 Brewing Company
- Inquiring Minds 9 – A hazy IPA made with Enigma, Vic Secret, and Citra hops. 7% ABV.
- Rype: Cherry Lemonade – A 5.8% ABV fruited sour.
- Sound of the Leaves – “An unfiltered and naturally carbonated lager. Slightly hazy with a cracker like malt profile and spicy, herbal hop notes,” 612 notes. 4.7% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Sun Room – A hoppy lager with grapefruit zest, lemon candy, and pine flavors, 612 says. 6.3% ABV, 39 IBU.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Ol’ Trusty – A light beer that pours at 4.1% ABV, 3 IBU and sells in affordably-priced 12-packs, head brewery Bobby Blasey says, “Ol’ Trusty is a very light beer that, unlike others, is 100% barley malt and no fillers,” adding, ““It’s crazy refreshing with just a sprinkle of hops for a light fruitiness.”
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- SPORT! – Now available, this is a new light American lager that has subtle citrus and berry notes with minimal bitterness and a clean, dry experience. 4.0% ABV.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Classic – “Straight forward and light with a smooth, creamy finish. This beer brings things back to the basics – sometimes, all you want is a beer that tastes like beer,” the brewery says. 5.0% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Zummer of ’69 – A collaboration for Zorbaz of lake country, this limited offering is a lemon cream ale.
Dangerous Man Brewing Co.
- Black is Beautiful – Top Flight selection.
- Peach Citra Sour – A 6.5% ABV, 25 IBU kettle sour that Dangerous Man says is “bold, juicy, tart and full of peach power.”
- Tangerine Popsicle IPA – A juicy new IPA made with Citra hops, lactose, and tangerines for slightly tart flavors, juicy citrus character, and a bright, crisp finish. 7.0% ABV, 80 IBU.
- Mutually Inclusive – Top Flight selection.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Star Spangled Slammer – An India pale lager with fruity notes of melon and gooseberries, followed by a hoppy, dry finish, the brewery says. 5.7% ABV, 88 IBU.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Black Daze – A double dry-hopped juicy IPA, “Hopped with loads of Mosaic, Amarillo, and Rakau, the experience is tropical with notes of mango and plenty of pineapple, becoming resinous and quite dank. Using the novel Gulo yeast strain, the beer is dry, citrus-forward, and a very reasonable 6.5% ABV,” Eastlake says. The beer is on tap and at the brewery this weekend (Midtown Global Market reopens on Saturday) and is also sold in 16-ounce cans. The can art comes from Black Daze, a local muralist, who is also its namesake.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- People Power – Top Flight selection.
- Glorified Rice – Available at the taproom, this is a “Midwestern Salad Sour” made with marshmallows, cherries, vanilla, rice, and pineapple.
Falling Knife Brewing Company
- Lotus Eater – “This 7.7% single-hopped DDH Juicy IPA is packed to the gills with Lotus hops, resulting in an extreme fresh squeezed pineapple nose, and a tropical blast of hop juiciness,” the brewery says.
- Freischutz – Falling Knife’s northern-German style pilsner will soon be available in 16-ounce cans, which will feature a pellable, die-cut sticker in the design work.
- Verbal-Tip – The hazy IPA will also be available in cans along with unique peel-off stickers. Cans will hit shelves on July 27.
FINNEGANS Brew Co
- Blood Orange Pilsner – A dry pilsner with blood orange puree. 6% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Black Currant Tart – At 5.7% ABV, 12 IBU, this is a mixed culture ale with juicy fruit flavors and subtle sourness.
- Clocked Out Unfiltered Wheat – A crisp, refreshing summer seasonal. 5.2% ABV, 28 IBU.
- Dreamland – Top Flight selection.
- Hop Comb Vol 2 – A double IPA brewed with local honey. At 7.8% ABV, 55 IBU, it contains lemon, tangerine, peach, and citrus flavors.
- Keeper’s Keller – A German-style keller pilsner for light malty sweetness and a citrus. 5.2% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Kicked to the Herb – Currently available, this hemp pale ale was brewed with hemp seeds, Citra, Zeus, and Chinook hops for tropical notes and a piney resinous nose, the brewery says.5.5% ABV, 45 IBU.
- Red Cloak – At 7.1% ABV, 19 IBU, this is a Belgian red ale aged in Rye Whiskey barrels from Tattersall. “[A] smooth mouthfeel and large amounts of oak and vanilla from the Minnesota white oak rejuvenate the tongue,” the brewery says.
- Zita – A Barrels of Life Series release, this is an 8% ABV sour wheat ale aged in oak barrels on Michigan-grown peaches. On tap at the brewery and sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Great Lakes Brewing Company
- Lake Erie Monster Imperial IPA – Part of the Legendary Series, this imperial IPA is out now.
Hop & Barrel Brewing Co.
- While You Were Away IPA – Was this named for The Mash-Up? Probably not. But it is a new IPA made with Koahtu, Idaho 7, and Azacca hops that combine for dank and herbal notes.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Pistachio Cream Ale – Returning after a successful run in May, this cream ale with flaked corn has a nutty presence with a touch of pistachio-esque flavors—without the addition of actual nuts. 5.5% ABV, 15 IBU, and sold in 16-ounce cans.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Blueberry Pastry Sour – A new kettle sour with blueberry, lactose, graham cracker, and vanilla that’s part beer, part dessert. 4.0% ABV, 5 IBU.
- Neon Pink – Another colorfully named beer, this 4.6% ABV offering is a cotton candy cream ale that first debuted at the brewery’s sixth anniversary party in 2019. “This glowingly pink ale has a noticeable flavor and aroma of the spun sugary concoction without being too overbearing,” Jack Pine says.”
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Pink Fluff – As Junkyard puts it: “Marshmallow Cherry Coconut Pudding! This ale was made with a combo of cherry, pineapple, coconut, plus vanilla, and marshmallow to recreate everyone’s favorite potluck dish!”
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Blood Orange Barncat – An infused variant of Barncat IPA with a sweet and citrusy note counter to the bitterness. 6.5% ABV.
- Coffee 5-Weight – Lakes & Legends’ cream ale gets a coffee addition from Dogwood, which adds light brown sugar, sweet cinnamon, and orange flavors to the beer. 5.0% ABV.
- Marigold Shandy – This summer mix features Marigold Golden Strong with orange juice.
- St. Gail Shandy – This summer mix features St. Gail Raspberry Honey Ale with lemonade.
- Sun Stream – A hazy IPA made with Ekuanot, Mosaic, Citra, and Cascade hops for bitter and dank flavors complimented by notes of candied fruit and floral, resinous notes. 6.4% ABV.
- Wee Tiger Juicy Pale Ale – Mighty Axe-grown hops are the centerpiece in this American pale ale recipe that is balanced, with orange and grapefruit tones. 5.1% ABV.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Personal Helles – Top Flight selection.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Watermelon Kettle Sour – Made with over 100 pounds of watermelon in the brew process, this 5.8% kettle sour is back on tap at the south Minneapolis brewpub now.
O’so Brewing Company
- Full Frontal Lobotomy – A new raw IPA from O’so that the brewery says is fruity, thick on the tongue, with dank notes.
- Groovy Smoothie – A 5.0% ABV guava and passion fruit sour ale with lactose and vanilla bean. Fruit forward, with notable tartness and a dense orange hue.
- Gorb Gorb – A double dry-hopped double IPA made with Cryo Mosaic and Amarillo hops. SOld in 12-ounce 4-packs of cans.
- Summer Squishy – This pineapple and coconut sour ale sold out of the taproom fast in its last run. Now it’s back and in 12-ounce cans. It pours at 5% ABV and also includes vanilla, lactose, and sea salt.
- Mutually Inclusive – Top Flight selection.
This brewery in Hackensack just opened at the end of June—with growler only sales due to current pandemic restrictions. The lineup currently features:
- Cream Ale
- Chapter One Pale Ale
- Hopmazing – double dry-hopped IPA
- Smilin’ Eyes – Dry Irish stout
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Just a Pinch – A 4.5% session sour ale made with hand-harvested salt.
- Blueberry Sour – On tap at the brewery now. 6.5% ABV, 23 IBU.
- Joe Appleseed – Tapped last week, this is a kettle sour with apple, guava, and lactose. 6.5% ABV, 23 IBU.
- Too Many Rules – A 5.9% ABV, 107 IBU American IPA.
- Shift Happens No. 03 – The third in a four-part series celebrating August Schell Brewing Company’s 160th year of brewing. No. 3 is “A double dry-hopped lager with unique New Zealand Hops including Waimea, Kohatu, Moutere, and Hallertau Blanc. This 10% ABV, 41 IBU tastes of tropical fruit with a hint of pine,” Schell’s says.
- Hard Seltzer – A new gluten free beer alternative on tap at the Minneapolis brewery.
- Ash, Not Maple – A 4.0% ABV smoked Helles lager with a name that references both summer campfires and another pastime: baseball (bats). Available in cans and on draft.
- Spiral Seltzer: Pineapple + Coconut – A 5.0% ABV hard seltzer available only at the Hastings taproom.
- The Hatch – A 6.7% ABV Maibock: “With a strong malty and lightly toasted aroma, this deep golden beer will get your taste buds going from the very first whiff. The Hatch is smooth and clean with just a touch of caramel sweetness,” the brewery says. In cans and on draft.
Stacked Deck Brewing
- Agent Haze – Made with Simcoe and Mosaic hops, this is a New England-style hazy IPA and “is by far the most aromatic beer we have made to date,” Stacked Deck says. Available today.
- Astronaut Sauce – This is a rotating series of fruited sours. On tap today is a version with blackberry, raspberry, and black currant. Sold in crowlers.
- Nice Dreams – A Mexican-style lager with added lime and sea salt.
Summit Brewing Company
- Cabin Crusher with Lemon – A new take on the lime Kölsch-style sibling that debuted last summer, the lemon variant was brewed with lemon peel and puree, plus Lemon Drop hops. “This beer is bright and tangy,” Summit says, and is available in the 2020 Summit Block Party Box. 4.8% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Cabin Crusher with Lime – The Lime version of this Kölsch-Style ale is back for 2020 and with a bigger release. Brewed with fresh lime peel, puree, and citrus-forward hops, it has a light biscuit base with berry and honey notes, plus lime, of course. 4.8% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Triumphant Session IPA – A year-round session IPA that pours at 4.0% ABV, 40 IBU, and 95 calories and 3.5g of carbs, Triumphant has pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, and bread crust flavors with a light bitterness.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Bit-O-Honey Blonde – The candy-inspired beer made in collaboration with Pearson’s is back for 2020.
- Pink Lemonade Dream State – Made with fresh lemons and vanilla, this is a tart and smooth summer-themed drink. 5.5% ABV, 12 IBU.
- Rainbow Road – A sherbert smoothie sour, available in crowlers now.
- Thunder Bot and Lightning IPA – “A golden IPA with notes of guava, coconut, gooseberries, lemongrass and tangerine,” the brewery says. 7.6% ABV, 34 IBU.
Two Roads Brewing Company
Based in Stratford, Connecticut, and the 47th largest craft brewery in the USA in 2019, Two Roads and its sour, barrel-aging and experimental offshoot Area Two Experimental Brewing are now available in Minnesota. This includes:
- H2ROADS – A line of hard seltzers made with 100% real fruit.
- No Limits Hefeweizen
- Tanker Truck Passion Fruit Gose
- Two Juicy Hazy Juicy IPA
- Receptional – Utepils’ 5.9% ABV, 28 IBU Festbier is back now.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Lockdown Lager – Now on tap. 4.5% ABV, 11 IBU.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Kolsch – 4.8% ABV, 12 IBU.
Beers just announced
Beaver Island Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – A 6.0% ABV, 23 IBU Marzen-style lager that has won The Growler Blind Tasting 2016 in 2019 and Great American Beer Festival bronze in 2017. Available in late July.
Falling Knife Brewing Company
- Freischutz – Falling Knife’s northern-German style pilsner will soon be available in 16-ounce cans, which the brewery showcased in a Facebook post this week.
- Verbal-Tip – The hazy IPA will also be available in cans soon.
FINNEGANS Brew Co
The next seasonal Fan Pack 12-pack was announced. Coming in early August it will feature:
- Bunny Run – “Easy drinking pint with slight maltiness entailing a balance between light toffee and caramel character. Classic biscuity graininess with a light roasty dry finish,” FINNEGANS says. 6.0% ABV, 22 IBU.
- Dead Poet – A 7.0% ABV, 38 IBU extra stout with roasted flavors and chocolate and stone fruit notes.
- Huell Melon Helles – As its name suggests, this Helles-style lager was brewed with Huell Melon hops, which impart floral notes to its crisp character. 5.1% ABV, 31 IBU.
- Punk Arse Coffee Porter – At 5.5% ABV, 22 IBU, this porter features a coffee addition that balances with toffee and chocolate notes from the base beer.
- Meadow of the Gods – An upcoming Barrels of Life Series release, this is a 5.7% ABV Nordic farmhouse ale aged in oak barrels. To be on tap and in 750-milliliter bottles later this month.
Founders Brewing Co.
- All Day IPA – The session IPA (currently available) will also be sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans beginning in September.
- Unraveled IPA – The juicy IPA (currently available) will also be sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans beginning in September.
Lazy Loon Brewing
- Oktoberfest – Coming this fall, the Glencoe-based brewery says.
- Cake Beer – In a recent newsletter the brewery announced it will brew its anniversary cake beer in 2020, but exact release plans are currently unknown. It will tap at some point before the end of the year, the brewery says.
Toppling Goliath Brewing
- Mornin’ Delight – The coffee maple imperial stout returns next month. Tickets are on sale now for the Aug. 14 bottle release in Decorah, IA.
Town Hall Brewery
- Not So EZ PZ – A 4.95% ABV cream ale made using traditional Krausening that adds lager-like character to this light ale sweet bread and slight apple flavors.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Cyclone Sour: Tropical – Coming soon, the brewery says.
- East Bay Maple Dunkel – Brewed this Thursday.
- Express Yo’self Golden Ale – Coming soon, the brewery says.
- Nebulous IPA – Coming soon, the brewery says.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.