With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Whether you prefer mango, grapefruit, barrel-aged whiskey notes, or classic lagers and ambers, there’s something new and exciting on tap. Of the many themes in this week’s listing, those choices include: unfiltered, fruited, barrel-aged, table beers, collaborations and special series one-offs, and even two beers that use the word “face” in their names.
This weekend also marks International Women’s Day. Many breweries have special batches of beer to tap on Sunday (and sooner) to celebrate, often donating a portion of profits from those beers to non-profit organizations.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Boom Island Kriek
Aged in barrels with fresh cherries, this spontaneously fermented Belgian-style kriek is back today
Dangerous Man Red Moon Rising
A beer brewed by the women of Dangerous Man, this blood orange hazy double IPA taps on Sunday, March 8, International Women’s Day.
Lift Bridge Resting Kolsch Face
A featured release on Sunday for International Women’s Day, this beer taps at 12pm and was brewed with lemon and ginger. A portion of proceeds will benefit Pink Boots Minnesota.
Inbound Chipotle Sour Gose
Brewed by a team of guest brewers of varied gender identities, this beer was made specifically for International Women’s Day and taps two days ahead of time, to line up with Inbound’s weekly Pour It Back charitable night.
Waldmann Doppel Stikke
This rich, malt-forward alt-style beer will be the featured beer at Waldmann’s beer-poking party this Saturday.
New beers available this week (March 2–March 8)
- Empower Sour – On tap today, this is a blackcurrant mango sour with vanilla and marshmallow.
- Ripe for the Drinking – A 7% ABV juicy IPA made with Mighty Axe-grown Minnesota hops.
22 Northmen Brewing Co.
- IPA Series – VII – A West Coast-style IPA that pours at 8% ABV and offers a sweet stone fruit, grapefruit, and citrus hop profile with an herbal background, the brewery says.
- Vienna Lager – “Delicate, bready malt characters dominate with roast aromas and a very subdued caramel note,” the brewery says. 5.4% ABV.
- Belgian Quad – A limited taproom-only offering, this Belgian-style dark strong was made with barrel-aging in mind. It begins with a clean profile complemented by toffee and caramel notes. 8.8% ABV.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Shapes and Sizes V3 – A new 5.8% ABV, 10 IBU beer in Able’s hazy IPA series, head brewer Bobby Blasey says that “the Ekuanot, El Dorado, and Simcoe hops blend together to give this beer lots of fruity, tropical, berry, melon and citrus notes…with the soft, clean and plush flavors of the malts.” On tap at the brewery now and coming in cans next week.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Strawberry Passion Fruit Earthshake IPA – A new milkshake IPA featuring the two fruits noted in its name, plus a blend of Mosaic, Callista, and Citra hops. Smooth, sweet, and tart, and 9.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
Bad Habit Brewing
- Belgian Chocolate Tripel – This newly tapped 9.0% ABV is a Belgian tripel with added chocolate. The beer is described as smooth and complex, with a “sweet chocolatey finish.”
- Samba Mamba – A smooth and hazy new IPA with pineapple, mango, stone fruit, and tangerine on the tongue. 7.4% ABV.
- Sugar High – A kettle sour with sweet fruit, “it’s tart, sour, sweet, and deliciously loaded with blueberries, blackberries, strawberry and raspberries,” says Bad Habit. “It’s liquid candy you’ll want to sip through a straw,” the brewery proclaims.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Immortal Toast – A white stout with coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. Tapped recently at the brewery.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Cryptocurrency – A juicy double IPA featuring Citra and Strata hops. 8.7% ABV with both sweet and bitter characteristics.
- Dark Helmet – A 5% ABV dark lager and Barrel Theory’s first schwarzbier.
- Double Dry Hopped Dorothy Mantooth – “This is the first time we brought back a cult favorite and turned the hops up! All Mosaic hops, bursting flavors of blueberry fields come with a soft hazy profile we all love,” the brewery says. 7.2% ABV.
- Double Dry Hopped Rain Drops – Rain Drops Citra and Mosaic hopped base, but with added Nelson Sauvin too. 7.5% ABV.
Beaver Island Brewing Co.
- Mango Cream – A new mango cream ale with tropical notes, available only in the new Throw Back variety pack.
- Ripple Blueberry – Another fruited take on a classic style that is sold in the new Throw Back Pack, this is a Kölsch-style ale soaked with blueberries “to create a balanced ale that finishes with a crisp berry taste,” Beaver Island says.
- Tangerine – An American wheat beer included in the Throw Back variety pack.
- Berry McBerryface – A crimson-colored fruited patersbier with acai berries, blueberries, black currants, and cherries. Tapped last night at Bent.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- False Spring Cream Ale – Released at the taproom last weekend.
- Very Cheery ESB – Released at the taproom last weekend.
- Wild Tux P.O.G. – A passionfruit, orange, and guava sour ale that taps at the brewery on Saturday and hits liquor stores next week.
- Infomercials – A double dry-hopped double IPA with double the dose of hops, including Citra, Mosaic, Cashmere, and El Dorado. 8.3% ABV.
- Honorable Mention – Double IPA
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Kriek – Aged in barrels with fresh cherries, this spontaneously fermented Belgian-style kriek is back today
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Midwest Midnight Berry Infusion – A chocolate milk infused stout infused with raspberry and blackberry. 6.1% ABV, 45 IBU.
- Weisse Guy – A new 5.5% ABV, 12 IBU Berliner weisse, served with a choice of honeydew, boysenberry, raspberry, and blood orange syrups.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Venn Brewing Collaboration: Tropical Milkshake IPA – On tap today, this is a new beer that was made with vanilla, toasted coconut, mango, pink guava, and a blend of Sabro Cryo, Lotus, and Experimental 09326 hops, but with subtle differences at each brewery. “Dangerous Man’s beer was brewed in Venn’s sour style without vanilla or lactose, ” Venn explains. The variation on tap at Venn was brewed using Dangerous Man’s milkshake technique, including lactose. 6.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Red Moon Rising – A beer brewed by the women of Dangerous Man, this blood orange hazy double IPA taps on Sunday March 8, International Women’s Day.
- Luna Jo – A cold brew coffee lager at 5.0% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Strata – Fair State returns this popular single-hopped DDH hazy IPA made with 100% Strata hops at the brewery. On tap now and coming in cans next week. “It’s soft, tropical, smooth, and so juicy.”
Founders Brewing Co.
- KBS – KBS moved from once-per-year to full-time, beginning in March. It features coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak flavors and pours at 12% ABV. Available on draft and in 12-ounce bottles across Founders’ nationwide footprint.
- Grapefruit Lonely Blonde – A seasonal release last year, Lonely Blonde with grapefruit is now available full-time, including in 12-packs.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Palindrome Double Pils – A 6.4% ABV double Pilsner that the brewery describes as smooth and crisp, with a bright lemon finish.
Great Lakes Brewing Company
- Chillwave Double IPA – Part of the Legendary Series, this is available in 4-packs now.
Half Brothers Brewing Company
- Zwit – A 5% ABV witbier with orange peel and coriander.
- Bandit Amber Ale – A 5.3% ABV, 22 IBU ale with balanced malt and hops, and a touch of smokey malt character, HeadFlyer says.
Hop & Barrel Brewing Company
- Paul & Babe’s Breakfast Ale – Available at the brewery only, “this malty amber-hued full-bodied ale is packed with loads of blueberries, layers of maple syrup, and blended with cold press coffee,” Hop & Barrel says.
- Irving Berliner Weisse – This new 3.9% ABV, 4 IBU offering was made with organic blueberries from Little Hill Berry Farm in Northfield. “The tartness of the beer and the sweetness of blueberries combine to create a perfect springtime melody of flavors,” Imminent says.
- Chipotle Sour Gose – Brewed by a team of guest brewers of varied gender identities, this beer was made specifically for International Women’s Day and taps two days ahead of time, to line up with Inbound’s weekly Pour It Back charitable night.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Hello, Milwaukee – An easy-going American light lager that Indeed describes as “crisp, clean and highly toastable.” Brewed in collaboration with 1840 Brewing Company. 4.5% ABV, 10 IBU.
- Hop Dab IPA – A hoppy IPA with citrus, resin, and berry notes complemented by a soft, smooth body. It pours light in color, with “a hazy glow,” Indeed says. 7.2% ABV, 55 IBU.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Huncho’s New Chain – Double apricot passionfruit sour.
- Queens of the Potluck – Described as an “ambrosia-style wheat ale.”
- Spritzen – Described as a low-cal beer with a splash of seltzer, this new drink comes in flavors of raspberry lemon, pineapple strawberry, and grapefruit. 94 calories, 2.2 carbohydrates, and no artificial ingredients. 4.2% ABV.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Irish Coffee Stout – Available this Saturday. The brewery is throwing its Irish Fest party from 3pm–10pm in celebration.
- Mango Blonde – Available at the brewery and at liquor stores, beginning this week.
- Resting Kolsch Face – A featured release on Sunday for International Women’s Day, this beer taps at 12pm and was brewed with lemon and ginger. A portion of proceeds will benefit Pink Boots Minnesota.
Little Thistle Brewery
- Barrel-Aged Caledonia Blend #1 – An 11% ABV wee heavy that was aged for one year in Wild Turkey bourbon barrels. Expect rich flavors of toffee, caramel, and dark fruit, the brewery says.
- Barrel-Aged Gingersnap – Another wee heavy that spent a year in Wild Turkey barrels, this beer has notes of ginger, toffee, caramel, and cinnamon. 9% ABV, 10 IBU.
- Barrel-Aged Molé – An imperial stout that spent one year in bourbon barrels, with added cocoa nibs, chile peppers, and cinnamon. 9% ABV, 10 IBU.
- For Those About To Bock – “A caramely, dark-amber beer with rich malt character. Heavier body to get through the winter months (don’t we all). This beer is slowly fermented for a crisp, smooth finish,” the brewery says. 6.5% ABV, 16 IBU.
- Fruit Snax – “An extremely refreshing lightly tart ale with Key lime, cherries, cinnamon, and marshmallow,” the brewery says. 3.5% ABV, 3 IBU.
- Peanut Putter’s Fluff – This chocolate milk stout was aged on peanut butter and marshmallows, giving it smooth, sweet, thick and creamy characteristics. 7.0% ABV, 12 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
Big Beer Week returns from March 1–8 at the Big Lake brewery, followed by its first iteration at Lupulin’s Sioux Falls location on March 8–15 (The full list was published last month). Available this week in Big Lake, in order of release:
- March 2 Draft Releases: Whiskey Nuts 2020, Whiskey Nuts 2018; Infusion (5pm): Almond Joy Whiskey Nuts 2020
- March 3 Draft Releases: Rus 2017, Rus 2018; Infusion (5pm): Rus 2018 w/ Oreos
- March 4 Draft Releases: BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle; Infusion (5pm): BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle w/ Count Chocula
- March 5 Draft Releases: Night Witch; Infusion (5pm): Sycophant w/ Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- March 6 Draft Releases: Strictly Illegal, Lateralus, Lateralus – Coconut & Chocolate; Infusion (5pm): Citridiculous w/ Pineapple, Orange & Guava
- March 7 Draft Releases: Barrel God 2016, Barrel God 2017, Barrel God 2019, Barrel God 2020; Infusion (2pm): Chocolate Mint Barrel God 2020
- March 8 Draft Releases: William the Conqueror, Barrel Aged William the Conqueror; Infusion (2pm): Lateralus Snozzberry Pie Ice Cream Float
The Sioux Falls lineup begins on Sunday, March 8, serving the following:
- Bottle Releases: Barrel God 2020, Barrel Aged Lateralus
- Draft Release: Barrel God 2020
- Infusion: Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle Mexican Mole
Modist Brewing Co.
- DDH Galaxy Dreamyard – A new double dry-hopped variant of Dreamyard IPA made with Galaxy hops. On tap at the brewery on Saturday and in liquor stores next week.
- Pineapple & Mango Fruit City – A fruit smoothie sour ale made with pineapple, mango, and lactose. It’s also the first Fruit City release to be sold in cans, which hit stores next week (on tap at Modist now).
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Wild Rice Amber Ale- Back on tap earlier than usual this year, in part because the brewpub is planning to bring it to the World Beer Cup next month.
Number 12 Cider
- Cuppajo – A semi-sweet cider collaboration made with dark roast coffee.
- ASpy2Hi – Grapefruit habanero sour with lactose and sea salt, available at the brewery and select liquor stores.
- Flex Morehard – “A traditional bock but more buff,” says Oliphant. Sold in 6-packs.
- Supertalentfragilistic – Available in 4-pack cans, this is a 10% ABV imperial stout with coffee and chipotle peppers. “A rich tapestry of dark malt, coffee and a titch of heat,” Oliphant says.
- Stag Series Maibock – Available in the mixed Peacock Pack
Steel Toe Brewing
- Turn-Key – A double- dry-hopped IPA with hop-driven flavors of pineapple, lychee, strawberry, and melon with a Golden Promise malt bill.
Summit Brewing Company
- Elderflower IPA – Sold only in the new IPA variety pack and select bars, this unfiltered IPA offers herbal and melon flavors, pouring at 6.2% ABV, 41 IBU.
Surly Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Darkness – Aged in rye barrels, Surly’s renowned Darkness Russian imperial stout returns in a new higher ABV variant. “Notes of chocolate, vanilla, dried fruit, and cherry, all enhanced by the oak and spice of the barrel,” Surly says.
- Grapefruit Supreme – After a successful debut as a 2019 seasonal, Surly’s Grapefruit Supreme is back full-time now. A tart ale made with grapefruit.
Talking Water Brewing Co.
- Cr-Hazy Pils – A newly tapped hazy Pilsner, dry-hopped with NZH-107.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- DoubleTree Cookie Beer – Tapped last weekend.
- Salted Nut Roll Cream Ale – This Pearson’s Candy collaboration returns at the brewery today with a refurbished 2020 recipe. In liquor stores soon.
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #290: Grapefruit Grisette – A Belgian-style table beer infused with real grapefruit. Tapping soon.
- Batch #293: Dangerous Man Collaboration Tropical Milkshake IPA – On tap today, this is a new beer that was made with vanilla, toasted coconut, mango, pink guava, and a blend of Sabro Cryo, Lotus, and Experimental 09326 hops, but with subtle differences at each brewery. “Dangerous Man’s beer was brewed in Venn’s sour style without vanilla or lactose” Venn explains, while the version on tap at Venn was brewed using Dangerous Man’s milkshake technique, including lactose. 6.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Mango Kölsch – A crisp beer with tropical sweetness from added mango to balance the base beer’s bitterness. 5% ABV, 22 IBU. On tap now and in cans soon.
- The Druid – A dry Irish stout that pours ink black with a tan head. “The low carbonation and light body give way to rich flavors of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. The dry finish accentuates the minerals in the water and the roasted bitterness of the malt,” the brewery says. 4.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Doppel Stikke – This rich, malt-forward alt-style beer will be the featured beer at Waldmann’s beer-poking party this Saturday.
Wild Mild Artisan Ales
- Sun Sets West – New this week, this West Coast-style IPA offers a bitter experience courtesy of Amarillo, Centennial, and Calypso hops.
Wild State Cider
- Blueberry Maple – Made with organic maple syrup from Lutsen and whole blueberries, this is a “just sweet enough” cider, the Wild State says, with no added sugar, concentrates, or sorbates. Taproom only, beginning today.
Beers just announced
- Solarama Crush – A double dry-hopped spring seasonal to debut on March 19. Made with honey from flowering solar farms, Kernza grain, and 100% pollinator-friendly solar energy along with Citra, Loral, Zeus, Amarillo, and Eureka hops. 7.3% ABV, 30 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Midnight Snack Chocolate Stout – A rich dessert stout made with a heavy malt bill and 12 pounds of cocoa nibs. Three variants—Raspberry, Mint, Salted Caramel—will be available at the brewery’s St. Patrick’s Day party, which takes place on March 21. 6.8% ABV, 38 IBU
Avery Brewing Company
- Night Warden – A new Barrel-Aged Series offering that will be sold in 6-packs all year long. The Colorado brewery a smooth, full-bodied beer that spent time in whiskey barrels, imparting vanilla and caramel notes while pouring at 8.2% ABV.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
The following are in tanks, per the brewery’s chalkboard:
- Anomaly: Passionfruit
- Bohemian Pilsner
- Dortmunder Export
- Dunkels Bock – The featured beer at a March 28 fire-poking party.
- Golden Bramble
The following are “on the horizon,” also per the brewery’s chalkboard:
- Midnight Portage
- Munich Helles
- Sun Pillar
- Coileain – A red Irish stout that taps for Bent’s two-day St. Patrick’s celebration at the taproom March 13–14 (which will also be serving cocktails).
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Dark Sky – One of two featured beers at next Saturday’s St. Patrick’s Day party, this is a dry stout served on nitro. 4.9% ABV, 39 IBU.
- The Mule – Also on tap next Saturday for the brewery’s St. Patrick’s Day event, this new lime and ginger ale pours at 5.2% ABV, 18 IBU.
Clown Shoes Beer
- Crunkle Sam – The barrel-aged barleywine will return later in 2020 in a new 19.2-ounce can.
Excelsior Brewing Company
- Hop Waves Juicy IPA – A new juicy IPA with flavors of tangerine, pineapple, creamsicle, melon, and honey, coming this month. 6.2% ABV. It will also be sold in a new 12-pack variety pack called Dock Box.
- Open Bow Unfiltered Pils – Available this month, this easy-drinking option is described as “lemony-spicy-herbal hop flavor.” 4.8% ABV and naturally hazy. It will also be sold in the upcoming Dock Box variety pack.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Blue Love – “We took our saison farmhouse ale, Lil’ Opal, as the base beer then fermented it with Bluecrop blueberries resulting in a vibrantly purple beer with just the right amount of tart,” the brewery says.
Founders Brewing Co.
- 4 Giants IPA – Available in April, this spring seasonal IPA is described as a mashup of four imperial IPA recipes. “This beer really captures the essence of what I think is the classic imperial IPA,” says Jeremy Kosmicki, head brewer at Founders. “Everything about it is totally in your face, but the flavor dynamics still manage to work together to create a well-balanced beer that is extremely fun to drink.” Part of the Limited Series.
- Wimpy – Foxhole’s triple IPA was brewed this week and returns soon.
Great Lakes Brewing Company
- Hazy – A new one-off IPA of the hazy variety. The beer offers balanced flavors with notes of grapefruit and stone fruit. Available Monday, March 16.
Number 12 Cider
- Blarney – A green cider blended with sweet woodruff herb. Available on Saturday, March 14, just in time for St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
- Honey Trap – A cyser (cider/mead hybrid) made with apple juice and orange blossom honey. Available later this month.
- Our debut CYSER: a cider-mead hybrid made with apple juice + orange-blossom honey. Our collaboration with award-winning meadmaker Adam Bystrom. Semi-Sweet.
- La Route – “Normandy style cider fermented with native French bittersweet apples,” Number 12 says. Semi-dry, 7.6% ABV.
Town Hall Brewery
- Orange Drop IPA – Set to tap next Monday, March 9, this 6.6% ABV IPA has fruit-forward citrus notes, mandarin orange character, and hints of bread and resin, Town Hall says, with underlying orange blossom and vanilla-orange cream impressions.
Wild Mild Artisan Ales
- The Winds – A hazy pale ale featuring Mosaic and Motueka hops. Coming March 13.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.