With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Who says there is nothing to celebrate in January? Certainly not us! This weekend is full of exciting beers, with anniversary parties in Robbinsdale and Mankato, plus a rare eisbock poking at Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub in Minneapolis. There are also one-off collaborations at Venn, Birch’s, Falling Knife, and more.
More hard seltzers continue to hit the market, and even some surprisingly (and in one case accidentally) double-hopped beers from Schell’s and Bad Weather.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Bad Weather DDH Necromancer
“Mistakes happen. Sometimes for the better,” says head brewer Andy Ruhland. “We had an oops moment and a batch of Hopcromancer got twice the amount of dry hops.” A one-time only taproom offering.
Drekker Blackberry & Black Currant Braaaaaaaains
The Fargo-based brewery has a jammy beer made with blackberry, black currant, vanilla, lactose, and sea salt. “It’s thick, sweet, [and] tart,” Drekker says. Available today.
This beer uses German wheat (or “weisse”), plus the Hopfen hop. “It pairs the wonderful esters and orange glow of a German wheat beer with citrusy hop flavors and aromatics of local Mighty Axe hops,” Fergus says.
The annual eisbock party takes place at Northbound on Saturday, with poking to start around noon. Eisbock is derived from frozen doppel bock that can only be made in frigid winter temperatures. “The result is a very thick full-body beer that is big in alcohol,” the brewpub says, with malt and caramel flavors. Available at the brewpub only in seven-ounce pours.
Town Hall Unthaw IPA
A 7.1% ABV seasonal IPA with tropical fruit flavors to provide warm thoughts in the dead of winter. Expect flavors of mango, papaya, and strawberries, plus honey, bread, and slight caramel.
New beers available this week (January 20–January 26)
Angry Inch Brewing Co.
- The Balvinchie – Scotch ale.
Back Channel Brewing Co.
- Dark Nome – A black IPA featured at the brewery’s Klondike Derby Event this Saturday, January 25. “Light malt, a dryness from rye, and bitterness from roasted malt, are accompanied by gentle citrus,” the brewery says. 6% ABV.
- Key Lines – Tapped on Wednesday, this is a Berliner weisse with key lime, aged with graham cracker for dessert pie flavors up front and a “crust” finish. 7.0% ABV.
Bad Habit Brewing
- Beautiful Conclusion – A “blazzberry kettle sour” on tap and available in Crowlers.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- DDH Necromancer –Top Flight entry
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- NA Amber Lager – A very limited non-alcoholic amber lager tapped at Bauhaus on Wednesday, offing “layers of toasty maltiness balanced by just enough hops to keep it honest,” the brewery says.
Blue Wolf Brewing Co.
- Lone Wolf Dark Ale – Tapped on Thursday.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Caribbean Dream – One of two beers for this weekend’s Tropical Party at the brewery. This is a golden stout with berry and coffee notes, plus coconut at the finish. 5.8% ABV, 17 IBU.
- Lemonhead – A tart, hopped lemon sour ale. 5.8% ABV, 50 IBU.
- Moose Juice – “This juicy IPA has flavors of grapefruit, cranberry and elderflower. It is complex and flavorful,” the brewery says. 6.8% ABV, 96 IBU.
- Prairie Sunset – A 6.4% ABV, 72 IBU red IPA that is described as bitter, hoppy, and malty.
- Snow Daze – A hazy double IPA made for the weekend Tropical Party. At 8% ABV, 92 IBU, this is a double dry-hopped beer with notes of mango, peach, apricot, and spice.
- Blackberry & Black Currant Braaaaaaaains – Top Flight entry
- Coconut Killer Milkshake IPA – A milkshake IPA with toasted coconut. 7.1% ABV.
- Multiple Ectogasms – Available today, this IPA features Citra and Mosaic hops. 7% ABV.
- Thor is My Co-Pilot – “A lactose DIPA […] brewed with a Surtur-sized pile of oats and hopped with CTZ, Simcoe, Citra, and Mosaic,” the brewery says. 8% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Big Doinks – This West Coast-style IPA tapped yesterday at the brewery.
Falling Knife Brewing Company
- Covert Communique – This is a hazy IPA featuring Kohatu and Taiheke hops for citrus flavors with a “delicate bitterness and mouthfeel.” A collaboration with Back Channel. 7.1% ABV.
Fergus Brewing Co.
- Hopfenweisse – Top Flight entry
- Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout – Available in the latest mixed pack from Fulton, along with Lonely Blonde, 300, and Maibock.
- Maibock – Available in the latest mixed pack, along with Lonely Blonde, 300, and the new Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout.
- Imperial Lavender Gose – A tart, salty gose with lavender on the nose, HeadFlyer says of the latest Beyond the Door series release.
- Vanilla Bean Porter – A frequent taproom offering, “Our Vanilla Bean Porter is available in cans for the first time,” HeadFlyer says. “This one is smooth and malty and features Madagascar vanilla beans.”
- What What – A hazy IPA made with Australian Galaxy and Vic Secret hops.
- Waking Hours Irish Red – “This smooth, biscuity, slightly caramel flavored Irish Red is delicate and sessionable,” the brewery says. 4.5% ABV, 21 IBU.
Iron Exchange Tavern & Brewery
A new brewpub will celebrate its grand opening in Maple Plain this weekend In addition to guest taps, in-house beers will include:
- Blonde Ale
- Brown Porter
- Cream Ale
- English Pale Ale
- Hoppy Red Ale
- Oatmeal Stout
- Single Malt/Single Hop Ale
- West Coast IPA
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Coconut Porter – A robust porter with “heaps of toasted coconut,” Lakeville says. The second beer in the Toasted Series, this new offering pours at 6.2% ABV.
- Sky High Imperial Cream Ale – A 9.5% ABV cream ale with cold press coffee and a hint of vanilla in 750-milliliter bottles.
LocAle Brewing Company
- Sun Dog – “This bright hazy pale ale was brewed with Maltwerks wheat and hopped with YCH Veterans Blend in the whirlpool, Centennial during fermentation and dry-hopped with concentrated Mosaic. Fruity with melon and berry notes,” says the brewery, which is celebrating its first anniversary this Saturday.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Eastern Sea – This is an 8.2% ABV Baltic porter.
- Whiskey Nuts – Back this Saturday, Whiskey Nuts is an imperial brown ale aged in whiskey barrels. On draft at the brewery and available in bottles.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Future Pixels – A double dry-hopped double IPA made using a blend of Strata, Galaxy, and Sultana hops. Available this Saturday at Modist.
- Raspberry End Layer – A fruited gose that debuted a week ago.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Eisbock – Top Flight entry
Pantown Brewing Company
- Resurrection DIPA – A release of an early Pantown beer, this double IPA offers notes of orange, mango, pineapple, and pear.
PawPrint, a new brewery in Chatfield, south of Rochester, opens today, January 24.
The lineup includes:
- Bear Dog Honey Lager
- Bird Dog Sour
- Bomb Dog IPA
- The Minuteman Irish Red
- Wet Snout Stout
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Citra Pale Ale – Available at Pryes this Saturday.
- Shift Happens No. 1 – A mini-series of new beers commemorating the brewery’s anniversary kicks off with a surprise style: a double dry-hopped lager with Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, and Amarillo hops. 9% ABV, 80 IBU.
Surly Brewing Company
- Fall to Pieces – “Our Mosaic masterpiece puts juicy, tropical hops at the forefront of this light-bodied, delicious IPA. Notes of mango, honey, and papaya entice, along with a dank hint of green fruit,” Surly says. Available in the Thaw Pack along with Furious, Xtra Citra, and Scillionaire (see below).
- Rocket Surgery – A hazy session ale that is juicy with fruit-forward flavors from the use of Citra and Simcoe hops. To be available year-round.
- Scrillionaire – Available in the Thaw Pack sampler, this is a dark lager with malt-forward flavors and notes of caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and a hint of chocolate, Surly says.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Peach Paradise – Brewed with 100% El Dorado hops, this smoothie sour IPA was conditioned on peach, tangerine, coconut, vanilla bean, and a touch of sea salt. 5% ABV.
- Sellout Seltzer – A 6% ABV cherry and lime seltzer.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Barrel-Aged Black Ale – One of two beers at a double release this Friday. 9.1% ABV.
- Peanut Butter Cup Imperial Stout – One of two beers at a double release this Friday. 9.8% ABV.
Town Hall Brewery
- Unthaw IPA – Top Flight entry
The Showcase of Sippers lineup for January 20, alongside the returning Foolish, Twisted Reality, and Eye of the Storm, is:
- Czar Jack – A GABF-winning barrel-aged imperial stout with roasted chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, coconut, and oak flavors. 8.6% ABV.
- Foolish Angel – A 10.1% ABV Belgian quad with flavors of plum, dates, dark caramel, and vanilla.
- Ol Jack Frost – The beer that becomes Czar Jack, this is a Russian imperial stout with dark chocolate, toasty caramel, and red fruit characteristics.
- Trip’d out – The beer that becomes Tripel Vine, this is 12% ABV and offers “Slightly sweet flavors of sugar, spice and honey [with] rich banana and plum aromas.”
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #272 Raspberry Vanilla Porter – An American-style porter that pours at 7.2% ABV, 30 IBU and is made with raspberry and vanilla.
- Batch #279 Apricot Wheat – A wheat ale infused with real apricots. 76.2% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Strong Sour – “The beer is a strong sour infused with kumquats and vanilla,” Venn says of this collaboration sour. “It was brewed at Venn but soured using Birch’s house sour culture, finished with Champagne yeast, and then infused with vanilla and 200 pounds of fresh kumquats. It’s like drinking a mimosa with a bit of melted Dreamsicle mixed in.” 7.5% ABV and to tap this Friday at Venn, Birch’s On The Lake, and Birch’s Lowertown.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Cookies & Cream Milk Stout – This dessert stout is on tap at the brewery and available in cans now.
- Pomegranate Seltzer
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Tsar Bomba – The featured beer at Wicked Wort’s fourth anniversary party this Saturday, this is a Russian imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels. “We used four different bourbon barrels for aging,” the brewery explains. “After 10 months we then blended them together for a complex, rich character…Notes of coffee, chocolate, dates and smooth bourbon.” 11% ABV, 80 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Cloud Rupture – One of three new cans to release next week, this is a hazy IPA with tropical flavors.
- Electric Factory – A foeder ale with raspberry and cherries, to be sold in cans beginning next week.
- Passionfruit Refresco – Cans of this sour IPA with Citra and Amarillo hops, plus passionfruit will be on sale beginning next week at select stores.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Double Berry Swirl – 6.5% ABV and made with blueberry, raspberry, lactose, and vanilla.
Beers just announced
Boom Island Brewing Co.
- Kollusion – The overseas collaboration Russian imperial stout returns on Friday, January 31.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Batch #999 – A milestone beer was brewed at Dangerous Man this week. Brewed with help from all of Dangerous Man’s former brewers, it will be a hazy double IPA with Sultana, Lotus, Sabro Cryo, Lemondrop, and Simcoe Cryo hops.
La Doña Cervecería
- Cuauhtli – The brewery is planning a bottle release for this upcoming mezcal barrel-aged imperial stout.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Rolling Thunder Imperial Stout – This complex imperial stout was aged in Dead Guy whiskey barrels. “The rich, viscous notes of chocolate, vanilla and coffee mix with the flavors of whiskey-soaked Oregon oak. 13.6% ABV. Coming in February.
Surly Brewing Company
- Blond Ambition – Next in the BC Small Batch series, this doppel heller bock releases on the week of February 3.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
The weekend of January 30-February 2 will be Fruit Cider Week. The lineup is tentative at this point, but Urban Forage suggests it will feature:
- Blackcurrant Cider
- Cherry Blush
- Pear Cider
- Vin de Pomme – A new offering made from red grape pomace and dry cider.
- Springbok – The 6.8% ABV, 36 IBU Hellerbock is back for Utepils’ third anniversary on February 1. The malt-forward beer has toasty baked bread flavors accented by a mild spice derived from the use of Tettnang hops.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.