With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Blue beers, coffee beers, cranberry, blackberry, even Tang! This week has all kinds of new offerings, from experimental ingredients to hazy IPAs to porters, a house-malted rye, and a traditional English pale ale. Bottle releases at Barrel Theory, FINNEGANS, and Unmapped highlight some of that creativity.
There are plenty of beer parties, as usual, this weekend too. LynLake celebrates five years today with special new beers, Bad Weather is hosting an Oktoberfest release with guest brewer and former Twin Glen Perkins, and Unmapped will be celebrating all Saturday with Flannel Roots Music & Beer Festival.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Dangerous Man Bru-Tang Sour
“This bad boy sour was brewed up with heaps of oats, wheat, and lactose,” says Dangerous Man’s Instagram post. “It is hopped with Lemondrop Cryo and dry-hopped with Sultana to accentuate the bright citrus notes. We then bombed this sour with orange zest and sh*t tons of TANG!” Tapped last week.
Barrel Theory C.R.E.A.M.
Limited to 400 bottles that go on sale this Saturday, this is a bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout with coconut, vanilla, and cinnamon. 13% ABV.
FINNEGANS Bunny Run
“A dry-hopped red ale with great maltiness entailing a balance between light toffee and caramel character. Classic biscuity graininess with a light roasty dry finish,” the brewery says. 6.0% ABV. On tap now at the brewery and in the new Fan Pack sampler in liquor stores.
Tapped last week, this is “a Virtual Reality NE IPA brewed with 1100 GB of fluffy oat malt and smooth wheat malts, then dry-hopped with a drippy digital blend of Mosaic, Cryo Mosaic and Denali hops,” Modist says. A collaboration with REM5 VR Lab, who created the label entirely in VR, which participants could explore at the launch earlier this week.
Town Hall Dry Hopped Pilsner
A crisp, clean Pilsner that was dry-hopped using Centennial hops to create a classic Pilsner with an American hop touch. 5% ABV.
New beers available this week (October 7–October 13)
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Party Room – A rye-style IPA made with Able-malted rye. “The original recipe has been tweaked to tone down the bitterness just a touch while still pulling in a spicy, herbal and caramel flavor from the hazlet malt created in-house at Able Brewery. A generous heaping of hops is then added to compliment the malt,” the brewery says, giving ample citrus flavor along with notes of tropical fruit and berries. 5.5% ABV, 22 IBU. On tap now and coming to cans next week.
Alloy Brewing Company
- SMaSH V5 – Tapped last week, single malt and single hop beer showcases a blend of Munich malt with Mandarina Bavarian hops. 6.4% ABV, 38 IBU.
Back Channel Brewing
- Birdwing – A 5.5% ABV, 27 IBU New England-style pale ale made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
- Click Thrice – A light body cream ale with a balanced profile, the brewery says. 5.2% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Jingles – This is another New England-style IPA, this one hopped with Citra and Vic Secret. 7.5% ABV, 64 IBU.
- King of the Wring – “King of the Wring will body slam your nose with massive chocolate and coffee aromatics backed by deep notes of malt and caramel,” the brewery says of this 11.2% ABV, 88 IBU imperial stout with coffee that took first place at the 2019 Minnesota Brewers Cup.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – Bad Weather will tap its Oktoberfest lager today, guest brewed by former Twins all-star Glen Perkins, who will be at the brewery for its release.
- Raspberry Anomaly – A raspberry kettle sour making its debut in cans.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Blood Orange Traitor – An infused variant of Traitor IPA made with citrusy blood orange. 7% ABV, 70 IBU.
- Turncoat – A juicy IPA with grapefruit and pine flavors and a dry finish. 5.2% ABV, 45 IBU.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- C.R.E.A.M. – Top Flight entry
Bauhaus Brew Labs
Bauhaus has a new Feezebox Mixed Pack in liquor stores, featuring four brand new beers. For added enjoyment, the brewery is also sharing suggested food pairings and playlists to fully get down with the new beers. Each beer will be on draft at different times during the winter.
- Bleatboxer Bock – “A smooth, strong, dark lager that emphasizes the malty-rich and somewhat toasty qualities of fine European malts without a sweet finish,” the brewery says. 6.6% ABV, 22 IBU. On draft in January.
- Pee-Wee Stout – A 4.5% ABV, 40 IBU stout with roasty maly, chocolate, and dried dark fruit notes that provide intense imperial-style flavors without the dense body and high ABV. On draft in November.
- Sno-Cal West Coast-Style IPA – This is an aggressively hopped West Coast IPA with rustic, earthy, and citrus notes. 7.2% ABV, 40 IBU. On draft in December.
- Vossisdoss Kveik IPA – A juicy IPA made with kveik year. “The Voss strain of kveik yeast imparts many desirable orange-peel-like fruity esters. Coupled with juicy, Minnesota-grown Julius hops from Mighty Axe Hops, along with complimentary citrus flavors from a healthy dose of Amarillo hops from the Yakima Valley, Vossisdoss is chock-full of juicy hop goodness with a smooth mouthfeel and a medium-dry finish that leaves a moderate lingering hop bitterness on the palate,” the brewery says of this 6.6% ABV, 52 IBU beer that hits draft lines this month.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Cherry Berry Wheat – One of two limited fruited beers to tap tonight at the brewery. Both are described as “5% ABV and are deliciously tart.”
- Vanilla Orange – One of two limited fruited beers to tap tonight at the brewery. Both are described as “5% ABV and are deliciously tart.”
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Cranberry Winter Shandy – On tap at 2pm today.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Mosaic Fresh Hop Ale
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Bru-Tang Sour – Top Flight entry
- Two Speed Double IPA – A collaboration with Iowa-based Single Speed Brewing, this is a pillowy New England-style double IPA defined by dank pineapple flavors, the brewery says. 8.2% ABV.
- Bunny Run – Top Flight entry
- Fitz’s Finnesota Stout – A 5.8% ABV chocolate-forward stout that was sold at the Irish Fair. On tap now at the brewery.
- My Little Rose – To tap at Harvest Fest this Saturday, this is a Belgian-style saison with hibiscus, rose hips, and rose pedals, aged in funked up apple whiskey barrels. “Tart, mild apple, plum, apricot, fruity brettanomyces funk, and perfect for fall,” FINNEGANS says. 7.7% ABV.
- Punk Arse – A coffee-forward porter with chocolate and toffee notes. Made with cold press from
- Wildflyer Coffee. 5.5% ABV. On tap now at the brewery and in the new Fan Pack sampler in liquor stores.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Luponic Distortion No. 14 – This new hop-minded release blends seven different hop varieties from South Africa, Australia, Germany and the Pacific Northwest. The new beer carries notes of white grape, mandarin orange, and passionfruit for fruity and “Sauvignon Blanc-like flavors,” says the brewery’s Matt Brynildson.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Ohio City Oatmeal Stout – A 5.4% ABV, 25 IBU oatmeal stout with a smooth and creamy texture.
Hoops Brewing Company
- No. 2015 Strawberry Rhubarb Hefeweizen
- Devil’s Companion – The London-style brown porter is now available on draft and in cans. Chocolate and roast-forward and 5.3% ABV.
- New England Style Raw IPA – A taproom-exclusive hazy IPA with unboiled hops. A silky body and intense fruit plus citrus aromatics define this limited release beer. 7.3% ABV.
- Peach Berliner Weisse – A kettle sour with peach and citrus notes and a combination of malt sweetness and refreshing tartness. 3.7% ABV and available at the taproom.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Batch #1000 Triple IPA – This limited edition milestone was recently released in 750-milliliter bottles.
- Blood Orange Cream Ale – Out now, both on draft and in stores. 4.6% ABV.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
Lakes & Legends will host Harvest Fest on Saturday, October 12, featuring several beers made with Minnesota-grown ingredients, including:
- 5-Weight Cream Ale – The flagship beer of the Farm Series.
- Harvest Ale – A new fresh hop ale.
- Lemongrass Grisette – Making its debut.
- Maple Stout – Made with maple syrup from Somerskogen Sugarbush, who will also be selling syrup at the festival.
- Plum Infused Marigold
- Swing Set Strawberry Rhubarb Kettle Sour
- Two Ravens Red Ale – A seasonal offering.
Left Hand Brewing Company
- Chai Milk Stout Nitro – 5% ABV.
LocAle Brewing Company
- River BrambleA golden kettle sour base with blackberries and raspberries for jammy berry flavors and a touch of tartness. 5.5% ABV.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Doppelbock – One of six German-style beers on tap at Lupulin’s Oktoberfest party this Saturday. 8% ABV.
- Kölsch – One of six German-style beers on tap at Lupulin’s Oktoberfest party this Saturday.
- Oktoberfest – A German-style Märzen at 5.7% ABV. One of six German-inspired beers on tap the brewery at this Saturday’s Oktoberfest celebration.
- Master Of Puppets – One of three special releases this Friday as LynLake celebrates its fifth anniversary. This is a Russian imperial stout aged in Breckenridge bourbon barrels.
- Smurf Sudz – Another Friday special release: “The follow-up to Smurf Juice, this milkshake IPA features raspberry, cantaloupe, and Blue Spirulina,” LynLake explains.
- Sota, Not Pop with Pineapple – A hazy dry-hopped double IPA with added pineapple. “Citrus fruitiness and piney hop character,” the brewery describes.
- Reigning Purple – This 4.5% ABV, 10 IBU beer was made with grapes, blackberries, and dark sweet cherries.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Haptic – Top Flight entry
Montgomery Brewing Company
- Peach XPA – Tapped last Friday.
- Wet Hop Zeus – Tapped last Friday.
Moose Lake Brewing Company
- Morning Haze – A New England-style IPA tapped last week at the brewery.
Number 12 Cider
- Sidra Del Norte – A Spanish-style cider that tapped at the cidery last week.
Oldenburg Brewing Company
- The American Way – A newly tapped American wheat ale.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Killer Pumpkin – Debuted this Wednesday.
Pryes Brewing Company
- Northern Pale Ale – A English-style pale ale, “Northern Pale Ale opens with subtle aromatic hops and sweet nectar maltyness. The beer continues with a full smooth body without an overpowering richness. It ends with a mild hoppy bitterness that lingers in a pleasant way,” Pryes says. Available this Saturday, October 12.
Surly Brewing Company
- Salted Dark Chocolate Funeral Bar Stout – A new Funeral Bar series pastry stout.
Town Hall Brewery
- Dry Hopped Pilsner – Top Flight entry
Unmapped Brewing Co.
Four special releases will be on tab for Flannel Roots Music & Beer Festival this Saturday:
- Flannel Roots Festbier – A marzen lager with a malt-forward profile that is light and refreshing. 5.9% ABV, 29 IBU.
- Trail Rye’d – A rye pale ale at 5.7% ABV, 33 IBU.
- Wicked Pumpkin – A 7.2% ABV, 29 IBU beer made with smoked pumpkin, maple syrup, and “just a hint of vanilla and pumpkin pie spice,” the brewery explains.
- Woodlands Project #4: Apple Brandy Excommunicator 2019 – “The fourth installment in the Woodlands Project series starts with our deliciously dark and malty Excommunicator Doppelbock. We then aged the beer in apple brandy barrels to create a unique and frankly awesome combination,” the brewery says. On tap and in limited bottles. 9.7% ABV, 17 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Laketown Brown – Tapped at the brewery this week.
- Munich Dunkel – Tapped at the brewery this week.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Pumpkin Juice – A 5% ABV pumpkin spice amber ale. On CO2 and nitro at the brewery.
Beers just announced
Block North Brew Pub
- 928 IPA – In the fermenters now and to be served soon.
- Unnamed 3-way collaboration – Made with help from Barrel Theory and Decorah, IA-based Pulpit Rock, this is an imperial stout that will be aged for 18 months and served sometime in 2021.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Civilized Brut – A brut IPA released amid the haze craze, this is a bubby, crisp IPA with a malt sweetness that is followed by bold, but not overpowering, hop notes.
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
The team behind Lakeville Brewing have opened a new brewpub in Inver Grove Heights with its own in-house brewing system. It is currently serving guest beers, with plans for their own soon, including:
- American Light Lager
- Cream Ale
- Irish Red
- Milk Stout
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Tan Van Coconut Candy Bar Stout
- Short Stack Dessert Stout
LocAle Brewing Company
- Deep Valley – The oatmeal stout is currently in production and will return to the taproom soon.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle – An upcoming imperial porter aged in whiskey and wine barrels and conditioned on cacao nibs. “On the horizon,” according to the latest Lupulin newsletter.
- BA William the Conqueror – A barleywine aged in port wine barrels will be a limited bottle release sometime in Lupulin’s future.
- Coconut Session IPA – 4.5% ABV and coming to taps this month.
- Dunkel – A German-style dark lager at 5% ABV. Coming “on the horizon,” the brewery says.
- Hero Hazy IPA – “On the horizon,” the brewery says.
- Polarnattens Paradis – A 9.5% ABV winter stout that will be available in cans and on draft later this year, the brewery says.
- Restoration 37 – A 5.5% ABV cream ale to debut this month.
- Schism – A black IPA is “on the horizon,” Lupulin says.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Outatime – A New England-style IPA made with Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin hops.
Town Hall Brewery
Next Monday kicks off Town Hall Brewery’s 22nd anniversary celebration.
- Anniversary Ale – A Pacific Northwest-inspired auburn IPA that uses both English and American hops. At 6.6% ABV, it offers bready, chocolate, caramel notes plus citrus and grassy hop flavors. Available October 14.
- Blackberry Gold – At 8.8% ABV, this is a barrel-aged Belgian blonde ale inspired by a bourbon, blackberry, and lemon cocktail. It carries bright citrus notes, tart blackberry, plus Belgian yeast esters and bourbon notes.
- Six Hour Tour – A barrel-aged imperial version of Three Hour tour coconut milk stout with big dark chocolate and coconut flavors, plus vanilla and oak character. 8.8% ABV.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Belgian Quad Port Wine/Rye Whiskey – A special bottle release for the brewery’s upcoming fifth anniversary celebration on October 26.
- Flanders Cherry Red Wood Fermented Sour – To tap during the brewery’s upcoming Anniversary Week celebration.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.