With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
After last week’s multitude of spring hefeweizens and maibocks, this week sees breweries celebrating anniversaries (Bent Paddle and Lupulin), starting charitable programs (Sisyphus), and experimenting with new yeasts and adjuncts (Surly and Indeed, among others).
New beers available this week (May 8–14)
- Dark Saison – Now on tap at the brewery.
- Standard Lager – Not to be confused with Fulton’s Standard Lager, this release is 10K’s first lager.
- Citrasaic – A double dry hopped New England IPA low on bitterness and high on hop aroma and flavor.
- Hidden Beach IPA – 612’s hazy IPA returns in cans after a short tap debut last fall. They’ve updated the recipe with Cryo hops to give an additional aromatic boost. Available in select metro stores starting today.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Chrono Culture 002 Azacca Sour – The second in their new Chrono Culture series. Available now on draft at the taproom and at retail locations.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Chocolate Heat Foundation Stout – The May 10 Weekly Infusion Keg in the taproom, tapped at 3pm.
- North Star American Wheat – Badger Hill’s beer for Valleyfair returns on May 13, debuting at the taproom, and at Valleyfair itself through the summer.
- Witty Blonde – This new dry-hopped white ale debuts today at the taproom, and is being distributed in cans. 5.1% ABV, 20 IBU.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co. Bent Paddle celebrates four years with a parking lot party and lots of beer from 2–8pm.
- KANŪ Session Pale Ale – Festiversary is the debut of this new year-round, 4.8% ABV pale ale, which is also being canned.
Bent Paddle’s Festiversary special infusions include:
- Blueberry Venure Pils Infusion
- Citra Mango Bent Hop Infusion
- Cherry 14º ESB Infusion
- Chai Black Infusion
- Mocha Cold Press Black Infusion
- Botanical Paddle Break Blonde Infusion
- Citrus Party Kanū Infusion
- Hop Outside Infusion – The Sharpest End – Venture Pils infused with juniper and sage, served on nitro.
Big Axe Brewing
- Imperial IPA – Tapping today for Big Axe’s second anniversary party.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Dry Hopped Amber Ale – A 5.2% ABV American amber dry hopped with Comet and Simcoe hops.
Canal Park Brewing
- Rocky Rappel Red Lager – Inspired by rock climbing on the North Shore, on tap now at this Duluth brewpub.
Day Block Brewing Company
- The RyBock – This limited-edition beer inspired by R.T. Rybak is brewed with plenty of rye and fermented with a German bock yeast. This maibock is also brewed with 50 pounds of maple syrup. On tap today and $1 from each pint sold will be donated to The Minneapolis Foundation.
- Shag Session & Descent – Two new IPAs go on tap today at 11am and will be available in Crowlers starting at 4:20pm.
- English Mild – Available exclusively at Brit’s Pub, this 4.0% ABV mild is brewed with six grains, including flaked oats and Britain’s prized Maris Otter. It carries a silky mouthfeel, surprisingly substantial body for its low ABV, and a nutty, roasty malt character.
Grand Teton Brewing Company
- Grapefruit Gose – Described as the “little brother” to the brewery’s 2016 gold medal winning gose, this uses Yellowstone mineral salt and ruby red grapefruit for a crisp summer beer. 4.0% ABV, 6 IBU.
Lakes & Legends Brewing
- Bitter Farmhand Belgian IPA with Azacca Hops – A spring-themed take on Bitter Farmhand with tropical notes from the use of Azacca hops. Available at the taproom. 6.9% ABV, 71 IBU.
- Amaizing Cream Ale – As Loony’s puts it, “A light and refreshing maize influenced ale including nugget and cascade hops.” 5.0% ABV, 16 IBU.
- World Traveler – A 6% ABV Costa Rican cold press coffee stout.
- Dia Festivo – A Vienna lager with toasty bready notes and a dry crisp finish, according to the brewery’s website. 5.4%, 25 IBU.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Castro’s Reserve – The third in the Cigar Series is a rum barrel-aged, cigar-smoked imperial brown ale. The brewery soaks cigars in rum that are then used to smoke the base malt, before also aging in rum barrels after brewing. Only 26 gallons available. Available today.
- Hero Squad – A new Belgian ale.
- For NAMI, Nah Mean?? – A “semi-imperial stout” infused with cinnamon and vanilla and draft only. One hundred percent of proceeds benefit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). 9.0% ABV, 44 IBU.
Sociable Cider Werks
- Rad Apple German-style Apelwein – Made exclusively for New Bohemia, Rad Apple is now on tap at the restaurant’s various locations.
Spilled Grain Brewing
- SMaSH Series #4 – Brewed with Pilsner malt and Mandarina Bavaria hops.
- Yoyodyne – The second of three Surly beers showcasing different uses of hefeweizen ale yeast. This one is a dry-hopped, “Surly-fied” traditional hefe.
Town Hall Brewery
- Pollen Party – A 7.3% ABV beer brewed with dandelion honey and herbs that carries notes of lemon and fresh flowers. The honey was sourced from Bar Bell Bee Ranch in Squaw Lake, Minnesota, which has been supplying Town Hall with honey for the past ten years.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Paradise Double IPA – The 2017 version of this DIPA returns.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Bad Weather Brewing
- Sun Pillar Belgian Blonde – Available again at the taproom starting today and returning to cans next month.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Homeguys Helles – A 4.7% ABV classic Münich-style helles lager that showcases the “elegant maltiness” of German pilsner malt. Available at the taproom.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Arcturan Mega-Saison – A big spring saison brewed with pink grapefruit and ginger that pours at 13% ABV. Available on tap and in gold foil–topped 750-milliliter bottles.
- Kirby Pucker #6 – Now at the plate in Eastlake’s lactobacillus second fermentation series is a sour riff on their Arcuran Mega-Saison, made with lemon zest, ginger, and aged on cedar.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Pahlay’ahlay Pale Ale –A pale ale hopped & dry-hopped with Citra creating flavors of mango, pineapple, and lemon-lime. On tap now and in cans next week.
Herkimer Pub and Brewery
- Toolers Hefeweizen – Back for 2017, this hefe features notes of banana and clove.
- Pontoon Pale Ale – Available today.
Beers just announced
Dangerous Man Brewing
- Birds of a Feather – Available May 19, this Art-A-Whirl beer is a collaboration with Indeed where both breweries selected a custom-made tea from Tea Source in Roseville to use with an amber ale base. The beer will be similar in flavor to Indeed’s version (see below), “However, ours has additional notes of: mulling spices, carrot cake, & freshly-baked sweetbread (due chiefly to our custom tea blend),” says Dangerous Man lead brewer John Leingang.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Artsy Fartsy Pale Ale – Art-A-Whirl returns to Northeast Minneapolis, and Artsy Fartsy returns to Fair State. Available on May 19 at 2pm.
- Extra! Extra! Pale Ale – Fulton continues to team with Minnesota icons. First Wheaties, now Star Tribune. The new brand releases on May 25, the 150th anniversary of the newspaper’s anniversary and will be available across the state in limited supply. A summer-themed beer, head brewer Mike Salo describes it as “a pleasantly crisp and aromatic pale ale with notes of citrus and tropical fruit.”
Hayes’ Public House
- Revenge of the Dullahan Imperial Smoked Coffee Porter – From the brewery: “This beautiful take on the original Dullahan Coffee Porter is a smoked ale made with a blend of malt from Ireland, England and Germany, then infused with a one-off cold press coffee from Buffalo Books and Coffee.” Out soon in 750-milliliter bottles. 10.1% ABV, 60 IBU.
- Flock Together: Amber Ale with Tea – This amber ale is a collaboration with Dangerous Man Brewing, where each brewery selected their own tea to use with a base amber. “The beer is expected to have rich caramel and raisin notes with flavors of vanilla and chocolate,” says Indeed. The tea is also for sale and the beer will later hit select bars and restaurants. Indeed and Dangerous Man previously collaborated on a tea beer for In Cahoots 2016.
- Citridiculous – Lupulin is turning two on May 20 and will celebrate with this “ridiculously citrusy IPA made with a ton of hops.”
- Not Bad For A Strip Mall Brewery – An anniversary double IPA, also set for a May 20 release.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Cold Brew IPA – Described by Rogues as shifting from one bold flavor to another: “Opening with a huge hit of rich coffee aroma that is balanced by a not-so-subtle hop punch, the transition is seamless from one bold flavor to the next.” 7.5% ABV, 82 IBU.
- Good Chit Pilsner – A new summer pilsner that includes barley grown and malted by Rogue. 5.3% ABV, 38 IBU.
Summit Brewing Company
- Unnamed Kölsch-style ale – Summit is hosting a “name this beer” competition for its 2017 State Fair beer, in conjunction with the Brewers Association’s 12th Annual American Craft Beer Week (May 15–21). It will be a sessionable Kölsch-style ale made with strawberry and all Minnesota ingredients.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Driftwood Gin Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout – A barrel aged limited release beer in honor of American Craft Beer Week, available May 17.
- Mo’ Summa Raspberry Blonde – Coming soon to the brewery.
- Mo’ Whiskey Barrel Aged Milk Stout – A barrel aged limited release beer in honor of American Craft Beer Week, available May 17.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.