With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
One of the many great things of modern craft beer is that there are always new flavors and always familiar standbys. The Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild’s Winterfest will highlight that with several unique one-offs, debuting beers that will later hit shelves, and familiar favorites. But there are plenty of other parties this week too. It’s Dark Week at FINNEGANS, Bad Weather has a beer to denote Winter Carnival, and Tin Whiskers has dual hazy IPAs on tap tonight, to help get you started.
While the weather may have visions of bold barrel-aged beers and big imperial stouts (which are plentiful this week too), there’s a wide variety of sessionable lagers, ales and, of course, hard seltzers too.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Angry Inch Crabby Appleton
A new graf, this is a beer/cider hybrid with fresh-pressed cider from Applewood Orchard in Lakeville.
FINNEGANS Baltic Porter
“A dark lager aged in wine barrels for a year. This Baltic porter packs an oaky chocolatey punch, with big dark fruit character, and subtle grape notes,” the brewery says.
Tin Whiskers Hefeweizen
New in the Fourier Series, this classic style ale offers ripe banana and subtle clove flavors, the brewery says. 5.4% ABV, 10 IBU.
Portage Brewing Company
Mild Morning – An English-style brown ale with cocoa powder, cacao nibs, and coffee. 5.5% ABV, 15 IBU.
Roundhouse Detonator Doppelbock
A full-bodied lager that balances malt-forward sweetness and roasted malt bitterness. 8.7% ABV, 20 IBU and also available in cans.
New beers available this week (January 13–January 19)
- Sweater Weather – A new juicy IPA featuring Loral and Cashmere hops. 5.6% ABV, 30 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Strawberry Curmudgeon Gose – “Alloy’s first sour beer includes strawberry, sea salt and coriander,” the brewery explains. 4.7% ABV, 21 IBU. A limited release.
Angry Inch Brewing Co.
- Crabby Appleton – A new graf, this is a beer/cider hybrid with fresh-pressed cider from Applewood Orchard in Lakeville. – Top Flight selection.
- Bud Light Seltzer – The top selling beer company in the USA has a new line of hard seltzers. Flavors are Black Cherry, Lemon Lime, Mango, and Strawberry. 5% ABV, 100 calories.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Coffee Ominous – Available, on nitro, at the brewery now. “Subtle cherry/fruit aromas from the Yeti Cold Press Blend pairs well with the chocolate/raisin/plum flavors of the beer,” the brewery explains.
- Treasure Hunt Ale – A dark cream ale brewed for Winter Carnival. The release party takes place on Saturday, January 18.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Shooter McGavin – The all Citra-hopped double IPA is back at the brewery now. 8.2% ABV.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Massive Aggressive – A bold-flavored imperial stout with coffee, chocolate, and dark dried fruit on the tongue. 10.5% ABV, 75 IBU.
Beaver Island Brewing Co.
- Minnesota Classic – A toasty Vienna lager that pours at 4.8% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Hopslam Ale – The noteworthy double IPA is available in Michigan now and is making its way across Bell’s footprint.
- Song of the Open Road – The latest in the Walt Whitman-inspired Leaves of Grass series is a winter warmer.
Big Wood Brewery
- Bad Axe – Available today, this is an imperial IPA made with Chinook, Columbus, and Centennial hops. 9.8% ABV, 76 IBU and in 4-packs.
- Lunch Buffet – A 9.0% ABV tripe dry-hopped double IPA with Mosaic, Mosaic Cryo, Cashmere, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, and Australian Galaxy hops.
- Parent Trap – At the brewery in limited supply, this is a peanut butter Oreo imperial stout that pous at 9.1% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Blueberry Cobbler Ale – Brewed with oats, wheat, and lactose, and conditioned on blueberries and cinnamon, this is a creamy smoothie-style ale.
- Chow Down – Inspired by puppy chow snack mix, this milk stout includes chocolate, peanut butter, and “a pinch” of powdered sugar. “The chocolate and peanut butter overwhelm the senses and finishes with a touch sweetness. Extremely smooth and silky for an 8.1% milk stout,” the brewery says.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Mighty Twerks Vol. 1 – A 5.6% ABV, 75 IBU SMaSH beer made with Maltwerks Pilsner malt and Mighty Axe Julius hops. “Pours a very pale straw-like color with a fluffy white head,” the brewery says, “with aromas of orange zest, orange marmalade, and slight tangerine notes.”
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
On Saturday from 12pm–6pm, Fair State’s taproom will feature a Journeys + Sidequests tap takeover, pouring:
- BA Dark Lager – An oak-fermented Czech-style dark lager.
- High Plains Snifter – An apple brandy barrel-aged barleywine with blackberries.
- Neapolitan Stout – A vegan ice cream stout.
- SuperKveik — Norwegian farmhouse ale with elderberry and tangerine.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
- Bajo Session IPA – Back on tap at the new Eden Prairie brewery now.
- Cream Ale
- Love You More Chocolate Cherry Stout
- The 952 Double IPA
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
The second annual Dark Week takes place January 13–16, with brand new dark-as-night beers tapping each night of the week, listed in alphabetical order here:
- Baltic Porter – “A dark lager aged in wine barrels for a year. This Baltic porter packs an oaky chocolatey punch, with big dark fruit character, and subtle grape notes,” the brewery says. – Top Flight selection.
- BB2 – An oak-aged stout conditioned on blackberry puree, packing notes of jam and chocolate with warm oak and spirited heat. “Dry, roasted malt character, and mild barrel funk,” the brewery says. Available this Saturday.
- Lucifer – On tap now, this is a milk stout with cocoa nibs and lactose for robust chocolate and roast flavors with a creamy body.
- Raspberry Brown – An American brown stout aged in Minnesota white oak barrels with added raspberries. “Mildly tart, ripe berry fruits, carmel character, sweet malt, and oak tannin,” the brewery says. Available starting today.
- Thin Lizzy – A black IPA brewed with chocolate rye malt and dry-hopped with Loral and Centennial hops. On tap now.
- Tulip Poplar – A blend of bourbon and whiskey barrel-aged beers—three different beers from four different barrels. “This blend that’s mahogany in color will warm the senses with its vanilla and funk-like character,” the brewery says. On tap now.
- Belgian Tripel – A 9% ABV “dangerously drinkable” tripel that tapped last weekend. It has a subtle sweetness and notes of clove and spices, the brewery says. In limited supply.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Pils – Indeed’s Pilsner has changed its name from B-Side to just Pils.
- Mango Trollway – It’s just like it sounds: Insight’s Trollway citrus IPA with mango.
- Not Fosters – An Australian pale ale that offers fruity, floral, and crisp notes from the use of Weyermann Pale, Munich I, and Crystal 45 malts, Vic Secret hops, and Voss Kveik yeast. 5.7% ABV, 33 IBU.
- Twin Turbo – A taproom-exclusive double IPA made with a blend of Simcoe, Tahoma, and Lemon Drop hops, plus honey. 9.99% ABV, 87 IBU.
Island City Brewing Company
- Peer Pressure – A cranberry and cherry flavored hard seltzer.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Sesher’s Rye Pale Ale – “Hop-forward session pale ale with a touch of crystal rye,” the brewery says. 4.7% ABV.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- 93X Half-Assed IPA – A 4.5% ABV, 43 IBU citrusy session IPA that replaces the 93X Brotherhood Lager. A portion of proceeds will benefit the 23rd Veteran charity. There will be a release party on January 18 with Midwest All-Star Wrestling.
LocAle Brewing Company
- Coneflower – A hazy pale ale made with Citra, Idaho 7, and Zenia hops. “Smooth bitterness and citrus-forward,” the brewery says.
- Helles – A German-style lager described as crisp and sessionable. 4.5% ABV.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle – An 11% ABV imperial stout infused with bourbon barrel-aged coffee beans.
- Suburban Sunrise – A red IPA at 7% ABV.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Ifrit IPA – Northbound is tapping a collaboration with La Doña today, part of a planned tap takeover at the south Minneapolis brewpub.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- The Iron Lotus – With flavors of orange and vanilla, this New England-style IPA was made with wheat and the Lotus hop variety.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Vantablack w/ Peanut Butter – A limited brewery only release that tapped on Wednesday.
Portage Brewing Company
- Brief Escape – “Our DDH West Coast IPA, brewed one the maltier side, with a huge hop bill of Mosaic, Simcoe Cryo, Cascade, Citra, and Warrior hops. Dank, with notes of berry and citrus,” Portage says. 7% ABV, 70 IBU.
- Mild Morning – An English-style brown ale with cocoa powder, cacao nibs, and coffee. 5.5% ABV, 15 IBU. – Top Flight selection.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Dreamland American Lager – This new 4.8% ABV American lager is to be available all year long from the Oregon brewery, with a portion of proceeds benefiting the building and restoration of skateparks around the world.
A series of canned sparkling cocktails is out now from Rogue Spirits. Each is 7.5% ABV and gluten-free.
- Cranberry Elderflower Vodka Soda ‒ A vodka-based drink with tart, refreshing qualities from added cranberry and elderflower.
- Cucumber Lime Gin Fizz ‒ A gin-based drink with cucumber and lime.
- Ginger Lime Vodka Mule ‒ “Rogue Spirits Bayfront Vodka forms the base of this cocktail while ginger and lime provide a refreshing balance of citrus and spice,” Rogue says.
- Detonator Doppelbock – A full-bodied lager that balances malt-forward sweetness and roasted malt bitterness. 8.7% ABV, 20 IBU and also available in cans. – Top Flight selection.
- Jubilee – A new hard seltzer designed to be light and refreshing. Current flavors are Strawberry Rhubarb and Cranberry Juniper, which balance sweetness with a hint of tartness. 5.2% ABV.
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Hoppy Anniversary Ale – Celebrating Sierra Nevada’s 40th anniversary, this is a West Coast IPA with piney and citrus flavors, plus a hint of caramel sweetness. Made using Cluster, Cascade, and Centennial hops. 6% ABV, 65 IBU.
Sociable Cider Werks
- Road Rash Raspberry Lemon – Available for a limited time.
Summit Brewing Co.
- Twenty-One – “From its white, creamy head to its dry, clean finish it has the big bitter flavor and effervescent mouthfeel drinkers have come to know and love from Summit IPAs,” Summit says, including bright citrus, bold pine, spicy, and biscuit notes.
Surly Brewing Company
- Dots & Loops – The first 2020 seasonal from Surly is the return of this IPA featuring citrus and tropical with a “pleasantly bright hop bite.”
Thunder Brothers Brewery
Newly open in Isanti, Thunder Brothers lineup includes:
- Cumulus Cream Ale
- Hop Skip Jump IPA – Made with Citra hops.
- Lightning Lager
- Summer Stout – “Stout in flavor, but [without] the heavy mouthfeel like an oatmeal stout or a chocolate stout,” the brewery says. 7.2% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Blonde Ale – On tap now, this 5.1% ABC, 18 IBU ale is described as crisp and refreshing with notes of orange zest and melon.
- Hefeweizen – New in the Fourier Series, this classic style ale offers ripe banana and subtle clove flavors, the brewery says. 5.4% ABV, 10 IBU. – Top Flight selection.
- Nova #6 DDH Triple IPA – “A double dry-hopped triple IPA with notes of pine, blueberry, ripe pineapple and strawberry,” Tin Whiskers says. 10.1% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Rock Them Bot – One of two new tappings this Friday, January 17, this hazy IPA was made with Lotus, Citra and Mandarina Bavaria hops for flavors of citrus, licorice, red berries, and vanilla. 7% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Sock Them Bot – The second of two new tappings today, this hazy IPA was made with Sultana, Citra, and Mandarina Bavaria hops for flavors of pine, resinous citrus, and cannabis.” 6.8% ABV, 25 IBU.
Town Hall Brewery
The Showcase of Sippers lineup for this week, alongside the returning Foolish, Twisted Reality, and Wee Heavy, includes:
- Chocolate Citrus Bruin – “This beer was brewed to embrace the yeast-derived fruit flavors (esters) in chorus with the addition of flavor adjuncts (notably kumquats and Belgian dark chocolate),” Town Hall says. 9.6% ABV.
- Eye of the Storm – The base beer for Vines Eye, this is a strong ale with Minnesota honey that offers candied citrus, fruit, and honey flavors. 9.1% ABV.
- Project 3106 – A bourbon barrel-aged Belgian-style bruin with dark chocolate and kumquats. 9.2% ABV.
- Twisted Trace – Also available on the week of January 20.
- Vines Eye – A red wine barrel-aged strong ale with honey. 9.7% ABV.
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #280 Lotus Hazy IPA – A New England-style IPA featuring Lotus hops that offers citrus, tropical fruit, and vanilla notes. Made with domestic pale, white wheat, and flaked oats in the grain bill and a British ale yeast.
Wayzata Brew Works
- Barley Wine – Back on tap at the start of the month.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- First Press – An American wild ale made with fresh watermelon.
Beers just announced
Boom Island Brewing Co.
- Kollusion – The overseas collaboration Russian imperial stout returns on Friday, January 31.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
- Blood Orange IPA – Currently unnamed but coming soon, the Eden Prairie brewery says.
- Pucker Up – “An ‘X-rated’ version of our Pucker Up hard lemonade,” Fat Pants says, that will pour near 8% ABV.
- Irish Red Ale
- Hunnay Bear Brown Ale
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Parabola – The 11th iteration of this Russian imperial stout returns at the California brewery on January 18 and nationwide in the coming weeks. “Parabola was aged in premier bourbon barrels for up to 12 months, resulting in a bold beer with notes of black cherry, dark chocolate, tobacco and plum with a 13.6% ABV,” Firestone Walker says.
The 2020 brand calendar from Fulton was announced:
- Citrus Ginger Hard Seltzer – In addition to year-round flavors of Blood Orange, Lemon-Lime, Berry, Grapefruit and the new Hopped!, Citrus Ginger will be seasonally available March through December.
- Golden Lager – Still to be named, a new lager is coming to the Fulton family.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Milk Stout – Coming in the fall in bottles and on draft.
- Spectre – Returns in September.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Hard Seltzer – Available this summer.
Iron Exchange Tavern & Brewery
A new brewpub will celebrate its grand opening in Maple Plain on Friday, January 24. In addition to guest taps, in-house beers will include:
- Blonde Ale
- Brown Porter
- Cream Ale
- English Pale Ale
- Hoppy Red Ale
- Oatmeal Stout
- Single Malt/Single Hop Ale
- West Coast IPA, Blonde Ale
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Coconut Porter – A robust porter with “heaps of toasted coconut,” Lakeville says. The second beer in the Toasted Series, this new offering will be 6.2% ABV and available next week.
- Sky High Imperial Cream Ale – A 9.5% ABV cream ale with cold press coffee and a hint of vanilla, this annual release returns next week with 750-milliliter bottles to be sold in the brewery. It will also be served at Winterfest at U.S. Bank Stadium tonight.
PawPrint, a new brewery in Chatfield, will open January 24. The lineup will include:
- Bear Dog Honey Lager
- Bird Dog Sour
- Bomb Dog IPA
- The Minuteman Irish Red
- Wet Snout Stout
- Static Transmission – The next Starkeller beer debuts on February 1 (with a preview at Winterfest this weekend). “Static Transmission pours a hazy gold in color and is bursting with the aromas of fresh wildflowers, lemons and pineapple. Oats lend a rich, creamy mouthfeel over a bright, sweet and sour character,” the brewery says.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Sour IPA – In development now, according to a recent social media post.
Town Hall Brewery
- Unthaw IPA – A 7.1% ABV seasonal IPA with tropical fruit flavors to provide warm thoughts in the dead of winter. Expect flavors of mango, papaya, strawberries, plus honey, bread, and slight caramel. On tap Monday.
Venn Brewing Company
- Strong Sour – “The beer is a strong sour infused with kumquats and vanilla. It was brewed at Venn but soured using Birch’s house sour culture, finished with Champagne yeast, and then infused with vanilla and 200 pounds of fresh kumquats. It’s like drinking a mimosa with a bit of melted Dreamsicle mixed in,” Venn says. 7.5% ABV and to tap on January 24 at Venn, Birch’s On The Lake, and Birch’s Lowertown.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Cloud Rupture – One of three new cans to release next week, this is a hazy IPA with tropical flavors.
- Electric Factory – A foeder ale with raspberry and cherries, to be sold in cans beginning next week.
- Passionfruit Refresco – Cans of this sour IPA with Citra and Amarillo hops, plus passionfruit will be on sale beginning next week at select stores.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.