Summit Brewing Company’s latest installment in their Unchained Series, which gives brewers absolute freedom to design new beers from their ingredients to their packaging, is Zingiber Cream Ale from brewer Christian Dixon. This is the 22nd beer in the series, which will be available on draft and in six-packs of 12oz. cans the second week of June.
Zingiber Cream Ale is intended to deliver a tribute to one of the true American beer styles, utilizing the best of both modern and classic techniques and ingredients. Zingiber Cream Ale is a 50/50 hybrid of ale and lager, brewed identically and fermented separately utilizing unique yeast strains, then blended after fermentation.
The combination lets the true characteristics of both styles shine through. Clean and crisp meets malty-sweet, full-bodied and robust. The addition of organic Hawaiian ginger adds a bright, subtle spiciness to the beer. Dixon explains more about the beer in the video below.
“Zingiber Cream Ale was a recipe idea born from my desire to recreate one of the lesser-seen All-American beer styles, executed as artfully and creatively as possible,” Dixon in a press release. “The finest malts were selected to complement the ale and lager styles. The hops were selected both for their flavor attributes and their German-American heritage. The result is a supremely drinkable, beautifully crafted beer with the definite presence of ginger spice.”
Zingiber Cream Ale Specs
- Malts: 2-Row, German Pils, C-15, German Cologne, Torrefied Wheat
- Hops: Sterling, Mt. Hood
- Kettle Additions: Fresh Organic Hawaiian Ginger
- ABV: 5.3%
- IBU: 35
- Color: Harvest Gold
- Yeast: Munich Lager II, American Ale II
- Pairing Suggestions: Korean barbecue, sushi, and chocolate fondue
- Friday, June 10, Summit Beer Hall, 4-10pm – Meet brewer Christian Dixon and taste Zingiber Cream Ale hooked up to a hop rocket full of fresh ginger. Live music by Dan Israel, 6:30-9pm.
- Friday, June 17, Keegan’s Irish Pub, 4pm – Meet brewer Christian Dixon