Breweries from Maui to Munich submitted nearly 5,000 beers representing over 90 styles for the 2016 U.S. Open Beer Championship, an annual competition open to breweries from around the world. Judges from the U.S., England, and Canada conducted the final round of judging at the Quarter Barrel Brewery & Pub in Oxford, Ohio. Two Minnesota breweries took home medals from the competition.
Waconia Brewing Company won gold in the English Summer Ale category for their Carver County Kölsch and bronze in the American Style Fruit Beer category for their Wactown Wheat.
Schell’s was awarded a silver medal for their Hefeweizen in the German Hefeweizen category, silver for Noble Star Apricot Vista in the Berliner-Style Weisse category, and took home a bronze for their new Grain Belt Lock and Dam in the American Amber/California Common category.
We brought home some hardware from the 2016 US Open Beer Championship! Over 5,000 beers were entered in to the competition this year!
In addition, one of the more unique categories judged in the U.S. Open Beer Championship is the top ten “Most Creative Names.” Among the judges’ favorites were:
1. Wit or Wit Out You – Middleton Brewing
2. Tall, Dark and Mandarin – Big Island Brewhaus
3. Shitnit – Port Jeff Brewing Company
4. Big Booty Golden Ale – Wild Ride Brewing
5. Sexapeel – Infamous Brewing Company
6. Bolshevik Bastard – Nickel Brook Brewing
7. You Bretta Run – Perrin Brewing Company
8. Guava the Hutt – Wynwood Brewing Company
9. There Gose My Heart – Hop Dogma Brewing Company
10. Toxic Sludge Black IPA – Blue Point Brewing