With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
New breweries continue to open, including Shakopee Brewhall on September 14. In addition to Shakopee’s new offerings, Autumn Brew Review, Utepils Oktoberfest, and Sociable Cider Werks’ Best of the Wurst festivals will keep Minnesotans from going thirsty.
Across the state, the fresh hop beers are arriving and the fall seasonals—from pumpkin spice to red IPAs—are on tap with more to come. For those looking out for rare and unique beers, Bad Weather is concluding Barrel Aged Week, Surly has a Cellar Raid planned, and the Hullabaloo lineup was just released.
New beers available this week (September 11–September 17)
- Blue Loon
August Schell Brewing Co.
Schell’s has two new beers in their Fall Sampler Pack, packaged with staples Firebrick and Pilsner.
- Farmhouse Ale
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Munich Helles Lager – Bad Weather’s Helles lager returns after two months in tank. As the brewery describes: “Aromas of clean, cracker like pilsner malt. Every so subtle floral/spicy hop aroma. Flavors of grainy, bready pilsner malt that is clean and slightly sweet, and a soft hop bitterness. Crisp, clean, dry traditional lager character that pours pale straw with a creamy white head.”
Badger Hill Brewing
- Honey Badger Autumn IPA – An IPA that uses the same honey as their Todd Haug collaboration Hexit.
Barley John’s Brewing Company
- Kölsch – The production brewery teased this secret beer that is “clear and top fermented with a bright straw-yellow hue.” It’s releasing today.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- High Vice Berliner Weisse – A blend of sweet and tart cherries. Taproom only.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Valve Jockey Series #3 – A “session” Barleywine to be sold in 16 oz. 4-packs and on draft. This limited time beer is malt forward and will raise funds and awareness for Northwoods Women in Science. 7.1% ABV, 50 IBU.
Big Wood Brewery
- Big Black Wolf – A Cascadian Dark Ale, now available and 7.4% ABV, 72 IBU.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Black Currant Imperial Wheat Wine – As the name says, it’s a malty wheat wine brewed with the addition of tart black currant. “Big body and taste but easy to drink,” says Boom Island. Out September 15 at 4pm.
C Squared Ciders
The Denver cidery made its Minnesota debut. They will also pour at the 17th Annual Autumn Brew Review festival on Saturday.
- Ella – A medium-dry India Pale Cider with Azacca hops. 6.5% ABV.
- Ginger – A medium-dry cider infused with organic ginger. 5.5% ABV.
- Lila – Off-dry cider with Colorado lavender, honey, juniper, and rose hips. 5% ABV.
- Nona – Off-dry and “seductively bittersweet,” says C Squared. 6% ABV.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Indigo Wheat
- Reaper – A “bright and hoppy” New England-style IPA, brewed with Citra and Mosaic hops.
- Allie’s Oatmeal Stout – Named in honor of a deceased pet. On nitro.
Lupine Brewing Company
- Apple Ale – Made using local apples from Fall Harvest Orchard.
- Suzy Q – A farmhouse ale that pours at 4.7% ABV, 15 IBU.
Shakopee’s newest brewery quietly opened their doors last night. Included in their lineup are (all descriptions from the brewery):
- Shakopee Red – A lighter amber ale offering with notes of caramel and slight citrus on the nose and flavors of caramel and treacle. Very drinkable with just a hint of lingering sweetness. 5.1% ABV, 31 IBU.
- Shakopee Light – An extremely easy drinking light lager with aromas of pilsner malt that are completed by slight floral and biscuit tones. 4% ABV, 21 IBU
- Nutty Mad – A tasty brown ale for the darker beer neophyte and veteran alike. Boasting aromas of light roast coffee and milk chocolate, with similar flavors on the palate along with just a hint of toffee. This beer finishes with just a bit of lingering bitterness. 5.4% ABV, 23 IBU
- Holmes Landing Saison – Powerful notes of banana and undertones of orange and lemon greet you. A flavorful offering that finishes quite dry on the palate. Medium high in carbonation with no lingering bitterness, this beer will surprise you with how easy it is to enjoy. 7.2% ABV, 24 IBU
- The Six IPA – A softer IPA than most of its West Coast cousins, this beer boasts a prominent orange citrus aroma that complements its orange appearance perfectly. Expect flavors of bright citrus and light caramel along with a mild, but lingering bitterness. 6% ABV, 42 IBU.
Sociable Cider Werks
Sociable celebrates Best of the Wurst festival this Sunday with a fully German beer lineup, in addition to their ciders.
- Apple Berliner Weisse
- Vienna Lager
- Receptional – A festbier in the German spirit to mark the famed beer festival that the brewery is celebrating onsite this weekend. This light-body beer is refreshing and satisfying, sessionable with a dry and subtle caramel finish.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Feeling Lucky – A dark sour blend made exclusively for Autumn Brew Review (ABR). This version includes sweet cherries and cocoa nibs. “This one has something for stout and sour fans alike,” the brewery says.
- Silla – Another ABR exclusive, this smoked peach sour has additions of cinnamon, vanilla, and oak spirals.
Seasonal or rotating returns
- Oktoberfest – A weekend celebration from September 15–17.
- Wet Hop Pale Ale – Brewed using 63 pounds of Centennial hops.
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Fallelujah Pumpkin Ale – A new seasonal from St. Cloud. “Brewed with British pale, dark crystal, Munich and a touch of beechwood smoked malt from Bamberg, Germany. A dose of Golden Delicious pumpkin and a blend of spices is also added to give this beer a true Autumn touch,” the brewery says. 7.0% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Oktoberfest – On tap and in cans.
- Autumn IPA – A red IPA with malty sweetness, berry aromatics, and a resinous finish, the brewery says. Now available.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
Dangerous Man Brewing Co.
- Secret Nugget IPA – A 7.3% ABV, 70 IBU IPA from Dangerous Man, described as having notes of lemonade, honeydew, papaya, fresh grass, pink peppercorn. 7.3% ABV, 70 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- It’s Gold, Jerry! – Golden ale brewed with Cascade hops from Mighty Axe made its seasonal return this week. 4.8% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Pudding Goggles
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Thor’s Porter – A hot pepper porter, now on tap according to the brewery website.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Two Nuts – An English brown ale.
- Pumpkin Grinder – Mankato’s annual fall release. “This silky pumpkin ale balances subtle tones of pumpkin and spice with a rich malt backbone, making for a satisfying mélange of fall flavor,” the brewery says.
- Octoberboi – Oktoberfest lager out of Somerset. 6.3% ABV.
- Spur Line – Roundhouse’s gluten free beer is back. 6.5% ABV, 42 IBU.
Beers just announced
- Club – Bang’s lager is currently in the tanks and back on tap soon.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Cask Wall – One feature at this year’s Hullabaloo party at Indeed (Oct. 14-15) is the cask wall, featuring 21 special infusion offerings.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Loonatick Fresh Hop IPA – Coming in early October and made with Centennial hops from Might Axe. To be sold in cans and on draft.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – Out on Sept. 23 when the brewpub celebrates the German festival.
Lupine Brewing Company
- Destruction Wheat Wine – Aged in a rye whiskey barrel from J. Carver Distillery, this will be on sale at Lupine’s Oktoberfest celebration on Sept. 23.
- Oktoberfest – Also on tap will be a Lupine Oktoberfest aged in rye barrels.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Furious Black – Let the Harry Potter references fly when this extra roasty take on Furious IPA returns on Sept. 25. 2017 is the first time it will be sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
- Furious Black cask – A day after its debut, Furious Black will be sold at the Beer Hall for Cask Tuesday.
- Furious cask – Surly beer Hall will tap an exclusive cask of flagship Furious IPA on Tuesday Sept. 19.
- Surly Beer Hall Cellar Raid – This Sept. 25 event will have rare Surly bottles available with tableside service. Options include 2008-2016 Darkness, Four, 2010 Smoke, and 1349 Black Ale.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- A currently untitled fresh hop beer using wet hops from Gladden Farms.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.