With over 150 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
The Super Bowl has taken over Minnesota, but we’re pretty sure that most people who are watching the game will do so with a beer in hand. In addition to flagship beers already available, there are new sours on the market from Bad Weather, LTS, and LynLake, barrel-aged beers from Broken Clock, Boom Island, HammerHeart, HeadFlyer, and more, and new nitro offerings from Jack Pine, The Herkimer, and Pryes. It’s impossible to sum up all of the Super Bowl activities, but Insight and Pryes both have active schedules, and the creative team at Modist has something up their sleeve.
As Minnesota hosts the big game, there are plenty of local beers to go around. Looking toward the future, Pryes will celebrate post–Super Bowl with a week of special infusions and releases, Day Block has a unique mojito-inspired cask to come, and Schell’s Firebrick has a new design in the works. For those looking to get some out of state news, Left Hand’s new Chai Milk Stout is hitting shelves, and Chicago’s Pipeworks will soon be sold in select local stores.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team will highlight five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited about.
Junkyard Disjunkled IPA
Junkyard’s Experimental IPA series continues, this time with the help of Bretty Doebbeling, the former head brewer and the co-founder of of Disgruntled Brewing. The New England–style IPA was made using Nugget, Rakau, Mosaic, Galaxy, and Columbus hops. 6.7% ABV, 60 IBU. Crowlers were released on January 25 at the Moorhead taproom.
BlackStack Double Dry Hopped 755
Local 755 is BlackStack Brewing’s year-round New England–style IPA. But this limited release version of the hazy IPA was double dry-hopped using Vic Secret and Citra cryo hops. “Bombed out with some of our favorite down under thunder and Yakima fairy dust. This one is dripping like candy paint,” says the brewery. 100 Crowlers were released on Tuesday at the taproom.
Pryes Nitro Raspberry Sour
Pryes Brewing released a number of infusions and nitro versions of beers this week in the run-up to the big game, but we’re most interested in trying the raspberry sour on nitro, tapping this Saturday. It will be intriguing to see how the finer carbonation interacts with the kettle sour’s “tart, ripe, and fruity flavors.”
Beaver Island Revolution III Russian Imperial Stout
St. Cloud’s Beaver Island Brewing celebrated its third anniversary with a “rich, bold, and explosive Russian imperial stout,” released on Saturday, January 27 at the taproom. Made with English Maris Otter, chocolate, roasted barley and dark crystal malts, this beer has notes of rich chocolate, dark fruit and a sturdy mouth-feel, according to the brewery. 200 bottles of this 10% ABV RIS were made available to the public.
Tin Whiskers King Boreas Cream Ale infused with lingonberries
This new infusion comes out on Saturday. “We couldn’t think of a more Minnesotan way to celebrate Big Game Weekend than to infuse our Winter Carnival–exclusive King Boreas Cream Ale with lingonberries,” the brewery says. Limited to a single in-house keg.
New beers available this week (January 29 – February 4)
12welve Eyes Brewing
- Jacques la Saison – A light saison with fruity esters and a dry finish.
- Hell’s Bellows Helles – “This crisp, bright, German lager conveys a hint of bitterness, but is well-balanced with a light pilsner taste,” the brewery says.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Mango Anomaly – The latest variation of Bad Weather’s kettle sour ale.
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Revolution III – This is the third installment in the Oaklore series.
Bent Paddle Brewing
- DusselDIRK Altbier – An ode to Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra’s conductor Dirk Meyer. DusselDIRK Altbier is a collaboration between German-born Meyer and Bent Paddle, described by head brewer Neil Caron as “a kind of a German style amber to brown ale, very malt forward, just a really nice delicate hop aroma to balance it out.”
- Double Dry Hopped 75 – Top Flight selection.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel-Aged Hoodoo Dubbel – “The first sip practically explodes with charred oak bourbon maltiness and tastes all of its 8% ABV. It is sweet and warming, not overly boozy, and gets smoother and more complex with each sip and as it warms in the glass,” the brewery says. 8.0% ABV and available in limited 750-milliliter bottles.
- Kevin’s Hard Ginger Ale – 5.0% ABV and available this Sunday.
- White IPA – Available this weekend at the taproom.
The Brewing Projekt
- Resist Mango Smoothie – IPA with mango.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- RISe – A barrel-aged Russian imperial stout debuts at the brewery on February 2. Broken Clock will be selling pints February 2–3 at the taproom to mark its release. 10% ABV, 74 IBU.
- Hibiscus Saison – Also to be released on Friday.
Flat Earth Brewery
- Loyalty & Honor – A limited release peppermint bourbon porter was tapped on January 26 in honor of the Royal Guard for the St. Paul Winter Carnival.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Åttebeint Hest – A new taproom exclusive to debut on Saturday.
- Barrel-Aged MF Diesel – HeadFlyer’s imperial stout is aged in Knob Creek bourbon barrels. “Roasty malt with undertones of coffee and chocolate, the barrel-aging adds another level of Mad Flavors,” the brewery says.
- Guava Wheat Ale – “An American wheat ale that has been infused with guava puree. Crisp, fruity and very satisfying,” the brewery says. 5% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Nitro Coffee Milk Stout – Part of a Friday “Coffee and Donuts” theme at the North Loop brewery, this new version of Inbound’s milk stout was made with City Girl Coffee’s cold press.
It’s Super Troll Week at Insight, featuring special casks of Troll Way and other Insight beers.
- Mango Troll Way – Tapped on Tuesday, January 30.
- Triple Shot Banshee Cutter – Tapped on Wednesday, January 31.
- Devil’s Companion Coffee – Tapped on Thursday, February 1.
- Peach Dankbot – Tapping today at 4pm.
- Gravity Well Vanilla Bean & Super Troll – Both to debut on Saturday.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Nitro Vienna Lager
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Disjunkled – Top Flight selection.
- Guava Shake-O-Matic IPA – A new milkshake IPA at 7.9% ABV, 54 IBU.
Klockow Brewing Company
- Lion’s Courage – This Emerald City IPA was made using Cascade hops. 8% ABV, 59 IBU.
- Odin’s Blueberry
LTS Brewing Company
- Go Big Rouge: Sour Red Ale – An oak-aged kettle sour with subtle cherry notes, the brewery says. 6.1% ABV, 16 IBU.
- Disco Jenga – A kettle sour brewed with Citra hops.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Dungeon Juice – Remember when Modist got some attention from a certain big brewery? They’re back with a new hazy IPA. “[It’s] another juicy IPA (not Dilly Dilly). A delicious IPA brewed from oats, wheat, and Golden Promise barley and then dry hopped with an exorbitant amount of Simcoe, Azacca, and Citra hops,” Modist decrees. Released on Tuesday.
Pryes is celebrating the Super Bowl into next week, kicking things off with 10 days of new offerings.
- Lemon Infused Winter IPA – Tapped this Monday.
- Blueberry Infused Dry Stout – Tapped this Tuesday.
- Grapefruit Infused Miraculum – Tapped on Wednesday
- Nitro Bohemian Blonde – Yesterday’s new offering.
- Chocolate Espresso Infused Dry Stout – Out today, Friday, February 2.
- Nitro Raspberry Sour – Top Flight selection.
- Imperial Pumpkin – Another new beer out this Saturday.
- Lemon/Lime Bohemian Blonde – Just in time for kickoff on Sunday. Check under “Beers just announced” for more upcoming Pryes beers.
Revelation Ale Works
- Maple Bacon Peanut Butter Stout – This extremely limited beer won the people’s choice award at the Happy Harry’s Beer & Bacon Festival, and is on tap only at Up North Pizza Pub in East Grand Forks while supplies last.
- Derail Ale – “With flavors characteristic of our Coal Train, but on the lighter side. Admittedly, we were aiming for the Coal Train Porter we all know and love. But somewhere along the process of craft brewing, we got off track,” the brewery says. Described as a light American porter.
Schell’s has released the new Peacock Pack sampler with four new beers.
- German-Style Porter
- Golden Lager
- Munich-Style Dunkel
- Tangerine Pale Lager
Summit Brewing Company
- Wee IPA – A wee cask was tapped for this IPA at the Beer Hall on Thursday night, conditioned with Citra hops.
Surly Brewing Company
- 60 Below Rye IPA – This new variety pack exclusive makes a premiere in Tower this weekend, celebrating the anniversary of the coldest recorded temperature in Minnesota. It also appeared at the recent tap takeover at HopCat downtown. Come February 19, the variety packs of Hell, Furious, Xtra-Citra, and 60 Below officially go statewide. The new beer features experimental hops and has notes of candied grape, orange, and vanilla cream,” Surly says, plus a rye grain bill that gives it a reddish hue with spicy malt character.
Third Street Brewhouse
- Kegle Brau – The third and final beer in Third Street’s historic beer series taps today at 4pm. This beer was originally brewed from the 1970s–1990s.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Co.
- King Boreas Cream Ale infused with lingonberries – Top Flight selection.
- New England IPA – Released earlier this week, this IPA is described as “[a] tropical, hazy brew bursts with notes of tangerine and juicy citrus.” 5.6% ABV.
Urban Forage Winery
- Cyser – What is Cyser? “A super-duper-delicious blend of a cider and mead, featuring our fresh and still-in-process dry crabapple cider and sweet mead,” the winery on East Lake Street says.
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch 17 German Pale Ale
- Batch 20 IPL
- Batch 21 American Brown Ale
- Batch 25 Citra EPA
Seasonal or rotating returns
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Double Dry Hopped Rain Drops – Back on tap, this batch uses Mosaic cyro hops, plus more Citra and Mosaic.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Copper Scotty – A Scottish Wee Heavy ale, which will also be featured in three limited time taproom beer cocktails.
Grand Rounds Brewing Co.
- Beer J – A New England–style IPA at 5.2% ABV, 30 IBU.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Imperial Dublin Raid – This bold HammerHeart beer returns with a special bottle release party on Saturday.
The Herkimer Pub & Brewery
- Jeffery Cream Ale – Smooth and creamy with a slight sweetness and rustic Willamette hops, the brewery says. Available on nitro.
- The High Point Dunkel – “This dark German lager boasts a robust breadiness and notes of roasted tree nuts,” the brewery says.
- #8 American Lager – A moderately hopped golden lager. 5% ABV, 15 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- LSD Honey Ale – Disclaimer: the LSD in this beer refers to the lavender, sunflower honey, and date honey.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Galactic Falconer – A New England–style IPA returned in late January.
Left Hand Brewing Company
- Chai Milk Stout Nitro
- Well Played Red IPA – The previous limited release returns as a 2018 seasonal offering.
Lift Bridge Brewing
- Blueberry Double IPA – “The 2,363rd batch of beer brewed at our enterprising Stillwater brewery is chock full of resinous hop deliciousness & natural blueberry. Celebrate the launch of tropical fruit, mango, and citrus notes for this brewing milestone,” the brewery says. Bottles released on Thursday.
Talking Waters Brewing Company
- Kerplunk Kölsch
Three Twenty Brewing Co.
- Super Day IPA – Made with Cascade, Mandarina Bavaria, and Citra hops.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Co.
- Distortion Mango New England IPA – A new Spark Series release, this is an update to AC/OC, which previously released at Twin Cities Old Chicago locations and in the taproom. “This hop bomb is brewed with fresh mango to bring a bright tropical note to your new favorite Minnesotan beer,” the brewery proclaims. 5.8% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Dynamo Imperial Chocolate Orange Stout Firkin – Tin Whiskers taps a special 11.5% ABV firkin of this popular seasonal with orange peel and chocolate today.
Urban Forage Winery
- Warm spiced mead – Available this weekend.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- West Coast Vibes – A West Coast IPA malt and hop bill with mixed culture wild yeast fermentation. Wild Mind describes it as dank, tropical, dry, and full bodied. 8% ABV.
Beers just announced
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Peanut Butter Porter – Winner of the recent “flight club” taproom event, this beer will be on tap at the brewery for all of February.
Big Wood Brewery
- Bad Axe Imperial IPA – A big IPA at 9.8% ABV and 76 IBU that is brewed with a mix of Columbus and Centennial hops. Returning February 9 for a taproom anniversary party in White Bear Lake.
City Lights Brewing Company
- Milwaukee’s year-old City Lights just announced plans to enter the Land of 10,000 Lakes in March. This year will see Coconut Porter and Mosaic Pale Ale added to their distribution lineup.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Imperial Golden Rose Ale
Day Block Brewing Co.
- Mojito Citra – This new limited beer taps on February 7 for Small Batch Wednesday. Day Block describes it as a mojito-inspired take on a Citra pale ale. One cask only.
Giesenbrau Bier Co.
- Schmorgesvein Sour Ale – Fermenting now with an estimated release in six months.
- Double Dry Hopped 1770 Galaxy – An upcoming Beyond the Door release, “This version of our Australian hopped pale ale features Galaxy hops and whole lot of them. The double dose of dry hops adds a ton of aroma to an already smooth, sweet base,” HeadFlyer says.
- Tropical None the Wiser – Pineapple and coconut infusions to HeadFlyer’s golden ale.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Barrel-Aged King Size – Returning on tap and to cans late next week.
- Poncho Goddess – Also coming near the end of next week.
Northbound Brewpub & Smokehouse
- Unnamed raspberry beer – An upcoming Snownami release with raspberries was hinted by the south Minneapolis brewpub.
Pipeworks Brewing Co.
The Chicago brewery that makes beers such as Ninja vs. Unicorn DIPA has announced distribution in Minnesota starting soon after the Super Bowl.
Continuing the Super Bowl beer series, Pryes will release several beers to help Twin Citians recover from the festivities.
- Mango Infused Bohemian Blonde – Monday, February 5.
- Mosaic Hop Infused Miraculum – Tuesday, February 6.
- Plumb & Cherry Infused Barley Wine – Wednesday, February 7.
- Vanilla Bean Infused Dry Stout – Thursday, February 8.
- Mixed Berry Infused Miraculum – Friday, February 9.
- Special Winter IPA Infusion – Coming Saturday, February 10.
- Orange Infused Miraculum on nitro – Sunday, February 11.
- Citra Blanc – Formerly known as the American Pale Lager, this bright, hoppy spin on a lager is coming to 16-ounce cans starting in March.
- Firebrick – The Schell’s staple is coming to 16-ounce cans soon.
Utepils Brewing Co.
- Moment – This limited release was inspired by a recent trip to the Czech Republic and will come to cans in late February, the brewery said in a recent newsletter.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Dante – “Dante melds together sweet, sour, and spicy in a barrel-aged dark sour blend with raspberry, cocoa nibs, and ancho chiles added post-fermentation. The roasty sour base balances the sweet and tart flavors of the cocoa and raspberries with subtle smoke and heat from the ancho chilies to build complexity,” the brewery says of this beer that spent 18 months in oak barrels. 225 bottles will be available on February 10.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.