The Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival 2015 is fast approaching. We hope to see you there this Saturday (3:30pm to 7:30pm (gates at 3pm)) at the Minnesota State Fairground’s Mighty Midway & the newly added heated Warner Coliseum. If you haven’t already purchased your tickets, you can still do so here. But you better act quick. This event has sold out each of its first five years.
If you have already purchased your tickets, great. Here’s what you’ll need to know to stay safe, warm, and happy at the sixth annual Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival.
What to Wear
The weather’s looking mild, so it won’t be quite as cold as last year, but hey, it’s Minnesota. Make sure you’re prepared for any weather:
- Layers! We’re talking SmartWool, UnderArmour, whatever you need to do.
- Hats and gloves. Can’t forget hats and gloves. Waterproof is a definitely a plus.
- If you need hand warmers, or just want to look fly in some Beer Dabbler-branded apparel, check out the Beer Dabbler Store’s on-site merchandise booths.
- Boots! What kind of shoes are best for winter dabbling? False. The correct answer is, and always will be boots. Sure, they might not make the fashion statement your pair Nike Air Force Ones would make, but nothing can put a cramp into your plans to enjoy the entire day of dabbling like ice blocks for feet.
What to Eat
Four hours of craft beer sampling is enough to whet anyone’s appetite. Whether you’re building a base or staving off the beer munchies, you’ll find plenty of food options at #BDWC15—including some of the Twin Cities’ hottest food trucks:
- Potter’s Pasties & Pies
- Tot Boss
- Hot Indian Foods
- Asian Invasion
- A Cupcake Social
- Undead Frank’s Zombie Bites
- B-52 Burgers Slider Squad
- Bubba’s Fusion BBQ
- Gerhard’s Brats
- Motley Crews Heavy Metal Grill
Plus, Lunds and Byerly’s will be on hand for a free (yes, FREE) meat and cheese showcase that features more than two dozen local and national brands.
What to Drink
We’re proud to have more than 100 breweries on hand this year. Listing them all here would be tedious to say the least, so we’ll just leave this here. Remember, there’s no limit on samples, so pace yourself, be respectful, and make sure you hit all the breweries you came for.
How to Get Warm
Even the best-laid layering plans can go awry. Hopefully the weather will stay civilized, but if parts of you start to go numb, we’ve got you covered. Just head to the heated Warner Coliseum, which is (not coincidentally) also where you’ll find the Lunds/Byerly’s meat and cheese showcase. Fill up while you warm up—quite a concept, no?
Stop over at the Silent Disco and move your body to the beats in your own pair of wireless headphones. This is always a crowd favorite at Beer Dabbler festivals—especially after a few beer samples—and is free to participate with an ID.
Snuggle up close to one of the RE/MAX North Central and Aamodt’s Hot Air Balloons and see what kind of heat they’re packing.
How to Get Home
It might feel like the frozen tundra, but the Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival isn’t exactly in the middle of nowhere. If you’re committed to getting your money’s worth at the sampling booths this year, you have several safe options for getting home:
- Bringing a Designated Driver ($10 per ticket). Not surprisingly, this one’s our personal favorite: You get a safe ride home and a sober friend to keep you company throughout the event.
- Getting a ride with You Drink We Drive. Planning on driving to the BDWC, but worried you’ll indulge a bit too much once there? No worries. We’ve partnered with You Drink We Drive, Minnesota’s most popular designated driving service, to make sure you get home safely in your own car.
- Take advantage of our free Metro Transit ride pass. That’s right, Metro Transit is offering free rides to and from the Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival. The 84 bus (Snelling) runs right past the Midway, so you won’t have to walk far to get your ride. Download your pass here.
- Get $20 off your first Uber ride. Never used Uber before? This is the perfect opportunity to try their ride service. Uber is offering a $20 credit for first-time users that type in the code: Dabbler15.